What Software Engineering contributes to Cardinal Health
Software Engineering is responsible for designing, developing, implementing and supporting applications, systems and IT products required to achieve the company's business objectives.
- Demonstrates knowledge of software development techniques and fluency in software languages and application programming interfaces.
- Demonstrates general understanding of hardware/software platforms including but not limited to operating systems, databases, application servers, web servers and integration technologies.
- Plans and executes system implementations that ensure success and minimize risk of system outages or other negative production impacts.
- Demonstrates conceptual knowledge of architecture standards and database and operating systems.
- Demonstrates problem solving ability that allows for effective and timely resolution of system issues including but not limited to production outages.
- Analyzes production system operations using tools such as monitoring, capacity analysis and outage root cause analysis to identify and drive change that ensures continuous improvement in system stability and performance.
- Demonstrates knowledge of software development, life cycle, modeling of business processes, application design patterns, business/functional documents. Estimates to high level business requirements and provide options analysis.
- Support and expand the Data & Analytics platforms that process, store, organize the data critical for Medical Segment reporting and analytics.
- As the technical leader in the US Operations Data & Analytics team, the Tech Lead leads the technical strategy and execution to provide trusted, stable, reliable, responsive and secure solutions and proactively inform Medical Segment business partners on D&A platform and product health, and problem resolution.
- The technical leader will have expertise in data movement and database technologies including but not limited to experience with data platforms including HANA, SAP BW, Teradata, My SQL and SQL Server.
- Work collaboratively with Shared Services/Cloud teams, offshore developers, and business users to solve business problems, deliver solutions, and to resolve production issues.
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Drive SAP HANA, SAP BW, and other database technical strategy as tools, products, and business needs evolve
- Define and build a best-in-class Data & Analytics Run organization, understanding the need to implement monitoring, alerting, and automation to ensure our data movement and data organization processes meet SLA goals.
- Define and execute database and data movement standards, design reviews, pipeline CI/CD process, and data container policies to ensure high quality data management
- Define how SAP database (HANA, SAP BW) capabilities will apply to business needs and result in dependable business solutions
- Ensure technical specifications are aligned with both business needs and technical design standards
- Partner with other team members to ensure Fit Gap Analysis, Key Decision Documents and options analysis, and Functional Specifications for the solutions to be implemented are in line with technical direction
- Partner with external consultants, solution providers, and managed services organizations to enable product/solution development as well as meeting documented standards
- Interact with Project Managers from multiple organizations to track project progress, identify risks, communicate risks and status to leadership, and to assess potential impacts to the business.
- Generate ideas and suggestions for process and technical improvements for platforms and processes supported by the team
- Ensure platforms and tools meet or exceed data security standards, including internal and external audits performed
- Provide technical expertise and support for problem resolution, including SRTs, RCAs, and related troubleshooting efforts
- Willingness to become a techno-functional expert in the solutions being implemented.
- Use strong verbal and written communication skills that non-technical business and end-users can understand.
- Applies advanced knowledge and understanding of concepts, principles, and technical capabilities to manage a wide variety of activities, while working multiple projects at a time, and providing solutions which may set precedent
- Independently determines method for completion of new activities, including leading less skilled resources (CAH and external) toward problem and project resolution
- Create and maintain logical and physical platform and landscape diagrams using best practices to ensure high data quality and reduced redundancy.
- Develop best practices for solution and tool frameworks, leveraging standard naming conventions, scripting and coding practices to ensure consistency of data solution.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field (i.e. Computer Science) or equivalent work experience preferred
- 8+ years of experience in related field, including experience with specific tools in scope such as data platforms including HANA, SAP BW, Teradata, My SQL and SQL Server preferred
- Experience with data movement technologies such as SLT, IBM CDC and MFT preferred
- Demonstrated expertise of database design and modeling
- Expert knowledge of BI Reporting and Data Discovery tools
- Experience with business critical applications.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of financial implications of projects.
- Experience on large-scale implementation programs preferred
- Experience with SAP or integrating to SAP is mandatory
What is expected of you and others at this level:
- Applies advanced knowledge and understanding of concepts, principles, and technical capabilities to manage a wide variety of projects
- Participates in the development of policies and procedures to achieve specific goals
- Recommends new practices, processes, metrics, or models
- Works on or may lead complex projects of large scope
- Projects may have significant and long-term impact
- Provides solutions which may set precedent
- Independently determines method for completion of new projects
- Receives guidance on overall project objectives
- Acts as a mentor to less experienced colleagues
Cardinal Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.