What Intellectual Property(NonAtty) contributes to Cardinal Health
Intellectual Property is responsible for providing legal advice, counsel and services in the areas of intellectual property (patent, trademark, and copyright) law
- Patent Prosecution Support. Actively contribute to the Company’s patent procurement process. Serve as the Company’s primary point-of-contact for domestic and foreign counsel. Assist in-house and outside counsel in the preparation, filing and prosecution of PCT applications and other documents. Prepare foreign-filing packets, including all forms/correspondence in regard thereto, and tend to all formalities necessary for foreign counsel to prepare, file and prosecute “nationalized” foreign patent applications. Receive communications from outside counsel, reviewing same for actions to be taken, and at the direction of in-house counsel, provide detailed instructions to outside counsel.
- Intellectual Property Portfolio Management. Support the IP team’s management of the Company’s intellectual property portfolio. Independently prepare meaningful reports for the purpose of helping the business understand the content and value of assets in the portfolio. Prepare competitive and historical reports using patent analytics. Working with in-house counsel, prepare materials in support of the Company’s various Intellectual Property review committees and provide the administrative framework for making decisions relating to patent-filing and maintenance activities.
- Legal Research and Support. At the direction of in-house counsel, conduct legal/intellectual property research, for example, IP litigation searches, focused patent document (and file wrapper) searches, competitive products information, etc. Support in-house counsel’s efforts to collect, review and analyze documents in regard to M&A activity, patent infringement claims, portfolio reviews, etc.
- Operational Excellence. Support the IP team’s operational excellence initiatives. Participate in helping define/execute IP team policies, procedures and best-practices necessary for the team and outside counsel to conduct patent procurement activities efficiently, accurately, on-time and with minimal waste/re-work.
- Increasing Effectiveness. Actively contribute toward the IP team’s goals of reducing total expenses while increasing the efficiency and practicality of the team’s interactions with commercial colleagues and business leaders. Maintain current understanding of US law and USPTO regulations in regard to intellectual property issues affecting the Company’s business strategies.
- College degree and/or paralegal certificate
- A minimum of 10 years of paralegal experience (with responsibilities similar to those listed above) in a law firm or corporate law department setting
- Established track record of pro-actively engaging outside counsel and business clients
- Requires proficiency with legal and/or technical searching software and a high degree of proficiency in computerized searching strategies
- Experience with intellectual property docketing systems preferred
- Excellent communication skills, highly organized, motivated, creative and possessing exceptional attention to detail
What is expected of you and others at this level
- Applies comprehensive knowledge and a thorough understanding of concepts, principles, and technical capabilities to perform varied tasks and projects
- May contribute to the development of policies and procedures
- Works on complex projects of large scope
- Develops technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems. Solutions are innovative and consistent with organization objectives
- Completes work independently receives general guidance on new projects
- Work reviewed for purpose of meeting objectives
- May act as a mentor to less experienced colleagues
Cardinal Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.