What Product & Services Development contributes to Cardinal Health
Product and Services Development is responsible for researching, developing, and launching new products for the company. This role is a member of the Service Development team within OptiFreight Logistics. The main function of this team is to continuously develop and manage innovative freight, logistics, and supply chain management solutions for the global healthcare market.
The Service Development team identifies, develops and commercializes new services to cost effectively solve customer problems. The Strategic Product Manager is the lead services expert and champion for the organization across the full lifecycle of the Large Freight (LTL/TL) portfolio offering with a core focus on designing, developing, introducing and refining the service offering in market while responding to in-market customer service needs.
What is Optifreight Logistics?
OptiFreight Logistics is a leading third party logistics arm of Cardinal Health with a focus in driving innovative logistics and supply chain improvement to healthcare clients.
- Strategic oversight of the Logistics Solutions / Large Freight business including:
- Pricing strategy: Monitor LTL / TL market trends. Collaborate with OptiFreight’s pricing and finance teams to recommend and execute periodic reviews and adjustments to the Logistics Solutions customer pricing model
- Carrier strategy development, negotiations, and business reviews: Collaborate with other Cardinal Health corporate transportation teams to pursue carrier synergies while also developing a carrier strategy specific to the geographic and service needs of OptiFreight’s customers. Perform reviews and analyses of all carrier pricing proposals (new offers and proposed increases) in order to inform active carrier negotiations
- Perform weekly analytics review of gross margin results and business line profitability, carrier, model and/or service type utilization, customer concentration and other drivers / business explanatory factors to confirm we are on target and identify new business, service and profit opportunities
- Proactively develop new service capabilities to meet customer current and future needs based on trends, data analytics, and visibility to the pulse of customers and suppliers
- Identify, prioritize, develop and implement new large freight operating models to service market needs within LTL/TL services leveraging existing and new carrier partners
- Perform weekly reviews of operations / transportation traffic and customer needs to uncover new services and optimization opportunities
- Proactively review carrier analytics for concentration analysis, price and cost assessment and to perform carrier negotiation
- Proactively review customer analytics for concentration, opportunity development and customer service model optimization
- Work with Marketing and Advanced Solutions team to identify new services or customer needs (dock optimization/consolidation, delivery timeliness, white glove, etc.)
- Identifies customer problems and translates market and customer needs into commercial service offerings with defensible differentiation and competitive advantages
- Conduct primary and secondary research (directly and / or with marketing) to support business case development and solution qualification
- Understands and drives service features, functions, benefits and global pricing strategy, in collaboration with finance and service marketing to achieve service line profitability
- Execute product development methodology to assess roadmaps and portfolio prioritize initiatives. Leverage methodology to drive innovation and develop consistent deliverables throughout the service development lifecycle incorporating necessary cross-functional input options analysis for management decision
- Asses the technology/integrations requirements of customers and competitive offerings/solutions and developing an OFL strategy to meet those needs
- Manages overall service life cycle and service portfolio optimization
- Assesses organizational readiness and constraints to commercialization and lead process definition work streams to resolve constraints and/or build solution capabilities with EIT, Ops, finance, sales and account management teams
- Collaborate with Service Development, Sales and Account Management to design multimodal logistics solutions and/or optimize existing Customer networks to maximize customer satisfaction and profitability
Thought leadership, training and transportation knowledge management
- Act as the thought leader / luminary in transportation large freight to train internal team members and educate sales and customers on how to leverage large freight to their benefit
- Educate Advanced Solutions Sales team on new models and work with them to develop and implement specific customer needs
- Broker desk/customer service TL/LTL service model oversight in partnership with operations
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Marketing, Operations Management, Logistics/Transportation, Information Technology or Supply Chain Management
- MBA preferred
- 7 – 10 years of related work experience in logistics product/service development leveraging an established product development methodology.
- Deep understanding of logistics and transportation management covering all modes with a focus on small parcel and LTL, Truckload, White Glove services, etc.
- Intimate LTL and TL contracting knowledge and experience negotiating and managing carrier contracts
- Deep understanding of market available supply chain management systems and tools including shipping management systems, warehouse management systems and ERP systems (Mercury Gate, SAP, PeopleSoft, etc.)
- Ideally, experienced implementing or managing the implementation of IT systems supporting logistics functions
- Managed a transportation desk, freight management team, and/or freight broker team
- Ability to build strong cross-functional relationships internally and externally
- Leader with demonstrated project management and project team leadership experience and skills
- Flexible and responsive attitude capable of managing multiple, shifting priorities
- Demonstrated decision making and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently and contribute while managing cross functional teams to support common initiatives.
- Served as a mentor for colleagues
What is expected of you and others at this level
- Applies advanced knowledge and understanding of concepts, principles, and technical capabilities to manage a wide variety of projects
- Participates in the development of policies and procedures to achieve specific goals
- Recommends new practices, processes, metrics, or models
- Works on or may lead complex projects of large scope
- Projects may have significant and long-term impact
- Provides solutions which may set precedent
- Independently determines method for completion of new projects
- Receives guidance on overall project objectives
- Acts as a mentor to less experienced colleagues
- Analyzes market research, trends, projections and innovations to formulate new product concepts and designs
- Demonstrates the knowledge to define the business dynamics necessary to consider portfolio expansion including market size, barriers to entry, differentiated value, regulatory assessment and existing portfolio alignment
- Possesses the expertise to establish and/or coordinate a commercialization strategy to include product proforma, branding and sales strategies, communication vehicles, training and pilot site deployment
- Consults with vendor/supplier partners as required for product development
- Operationalizes product launch with coordination of broader customer engagement
- Uses project management skills to manage projects from initiation through closing to successfully meet project objectives
Cardinal Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.