Senior Project Engineer-Switchgear
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.
At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
As a Senior Project Engineer, need to work within the Packaging Group to manage the Engineering and support services for the integration of electrical equipment into E-Houses. Also meeting the established engineering objectives within approved costs and timescale limits.
Reporting to the Project Engineering Manager, need to have technical experience in performing the successful engineering of large multimillion dollar projects involving low and medium voltage switchgear, motor control, drives, motors and various electrical equipment in E-Houses while maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Plan, monitor, coordinate and execute complex engineering tasks including the technical and quality targets established by ABB, sub supplying vendors and the customer.
- Develop and manage an engineering project plan, design reviews and design approvals between ABB, sub supplying vendors, subcontractors and the customer.
- Develop status reports and modify plans or schedules, as necessary, to ensure contract parameters are met
- Monitor the performance of subcontractors to ensure they satisfactorily fulfill their commercial and technical supply commitments
- Supervise, plan and actively participate in the Factory Acceptance Test and Integrated Factory Acceptance Test with customer and/or other ABB units
- Maintain close contact with customers and project participants to identify and resolve issues of mutual concern and to seek opportunities for additional business
- Ensure timely contract completion, customer satisfaction, and desired financial return
- Identify and pursue the resolution of problem areas likely to hinder the progress of work or payment of work completed to optimize the successful completion of and payment for project work
- This role requires extensive overnight travel up to 50%
- Require Bachelors of Science degree in Electrical Engineering
- 5 years relevant engineering experience in electrical power systems switchgear and project management
- Need to have knowledge of medium and or low voltage switchgear equipment and the application of such equipment in fully integrated Power Distribution Centers
- Needs to have knowledge of transformers, drives, motors, bus duct, power cables, and other electrical equipment associated with low and medium voltage power equipment
- Ability to design and calculate the electrical requirements for fully integrated Power Distribution Centers
- Requires ability to negotiate and influence decisions of senior Company managers and major customers
- Working knowledge of IEEE/ANSI, NEMA, NETA, API, and PIP standards
- Working knowledge of NEC, NESC, and other codes as applicable to power distribution equipment
- Ability to design, modify, and check control single line and three line diagrams, and electrical schematic diagrams for control of power distribution equipment
- Ability to design, modify, and check electrical connection diagrams, inter-connection diagrams, and wire lists
- Ability to understand and confirm designs of customer or vendor supplied electrical drawings including MV and LV control schematics, protection schemes, and metering requirements
- Basic understanding of battery storage systems including charger and UPS systems
- Ability to perform, per applicable codes and standards, cable sizing, conduit fill calculations, voltage drop calculations, panel board breakers sizing and layouts. Overall working knowledge of power distribution systems from HV equipment to LV distribution equipment
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the US
- Retirement plan
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Medical insurance
- Wellbeing program
More about us
ABB's Distribution Solutions Division provides utility, industrial and commercial customers with safe, smart and sustainable technologies for the distribution of electricity. With ABB AbilityTM enabled digital solutions at its core, our extensive portfolio includes distribution automation products, switching, limiting, measuring and sensing devices, switchgear, modular substation packages, and related services.
We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.