Are you a creative, self-driven engineering professional that thrives in fast-paced environments; cultivating new ideas, and collaborating with key stakeholders to expand a business? Then join one of the country’s top 25 consumer packaged goods companies, Smithfield Foods!
As part of our Engineering team, you would analyze data, draft implementation plans for production process optimization. Seeking out ways to maximize efficiencies by eliminating the waste of valuable resources that directly impact our overall operating costs. You are instrumental to the manufacturing of Smithfield, Eckrich, Nathan’s Famous, and our other product brands, to meet the needs of our customers and consumers.
The Senior Project Manager applies theories and principles of science and mathematics to design and develop technical projects for the pork and packaged meat industry. They perform engineering assignments on the most complex and large projects. They are a recognized internal expert in project management and are considered a subject matter expert, solving unique and complex problems. The role leads multiple teams on projects providing direction and coaching to ensure a successful result. The Senior Project Manager anticipates external business, vendor and regulatory issues and proactively provides broad solutions.
This position will be located in either Lisle, IL or Kansas City, MO. Candidates should be willing to work from one of these two locations.Core Responsibilities
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
- Project Management
- Develops and executes the overall project to insure success through team development, multiple plans (budget, schedule, communication, risk management, etc), and necessary monitoring with corrective action.
- Develops the overall budget through thorough good engineering practices to insure an accurate cost estimate to enable the organization to make a well-informed decision.
- Executes the project with pro-active budget control insuring that each sub-team manages their budgets.
- Develops the overall schedule with good engineering practices to provide a realistic schedule.
- Monitors the schedule and proactively scans the internal and external situation to insure the project is delivered as specified.
- Develops the preliminary engineering designs to meet the stated need of the project.
- Monitors the scope, maintaining the original project scope preventing unnecessary scope creep while keeping the leadership actively informed of any necessary changes.
- May lead multiple teams responsible for sections of the project.
- Develops and executes management routines to provide oversight and guidance to insure each team and project section is successful.
- Develops communication plans to ensure that the organization is actively engaged and always aware of the status of the project.
- Pro-actively communicates potential issues with the recommended solution in advance of it becoming a problem.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Engineering or related field and 8+ years of relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Minimum of 5+ years’ experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required.
- Knowledge of engineering principles and techniques related to food processing and the meat industry, preferred.
- Ability to apply sound engineering principles to operational and design issues.
- Knowledge of installation and construction project scheduling.
- Must possess Project Management skills; Contract Administration skills; National codes and standards interpretation skills. Previous experience in the management of multi-million dollar projects with large scopes, desirable.
- Proficient in engineering economics.
- Proficient in AutoCAD.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel spreadsheet software and Word processing software, other Microsoft Office products.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, organizational planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning, and adaptability.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Travel is required with extended overnight stays.
- This position may have supervisory responsibilities and lead Associate Engineers, Project Engineers, Senior Project Engineers, and Project Managers.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to sit, use hands, and talk or hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The majority of the time is spent in an office setting outside of the production plant. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.