Look for more than answers.
Patients and Physicians rely on our diagnostic testing, information and services to help them make better healthcare decisions. These are often serious decisions with far reaching consequences, and require sensitivity, tact and a clear dedication to service. It’s about providing clarity and hope.
As a Senior Scientist you will work for the world leader in the industry, with a career where you will have the opportunity to collaborate and affect change while expanding your leadership skills and technical knowledge. You can make a real impact in a market that is growing and developing.
This on-site position is based at our Marlborough, MA location.
Senior Scientist – the role:
The Senior Scientist prepares, conducts and records complex bench level molecular biology/genetics experiments. This professional prepares reports and analysis of results as related to product/process development improvement. Activities may be focused individual projects or assignments as a member of a project team which may include project leadership duties.
- Develops, plans, conducts and records results from complex experiments within a specific product or technology area.
- Performs laboratory experiments following defined protocols and company procedures.
- Reports status of assigned projects through the preparation of detailed reports and documentation that summarize experiment results. Interprets results of experiments and recommends alternative experiments.
- Works within established parameters on individual assignments, on project teams for longer-term projects or as a leader for a project team or group. Presents experimental results to supervisor or project team members and contributes ideas to improve team processes.
- Participates in technical decisions affecting product development issues. Identifies problems, investigates alternatives and recommends possible courses of action. Works with team members and other Business Unit personnel (operations, product transfer, project management, and quality departments) to meet department and project objectives.
- May prepare and/or contribute to articles for publication. Presents information at project meetings and may present findings at scientific meetings or to customers.
- May attend technical conferences or seminars. Maintains knowledge of technological developments that may assist in the completion of an assignment or lead to new products, processes or procedures by reading current literature.
- Responsibilities include supporting and complying with the company's hazardous waste management program, including following safe, hazardous waste handling practices.
- Effectively utilizes and applies advanced methods or technologies.
- Contributes ideas for new product development typically within existing markets.
To qualify, the ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Successful completion of an advanced degree (M.A./Ph.D.) in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Genetics or related scientific discipline.
- Two to five (2-5) years of prior relevant experience often acquired in an academic or industrial environment with a Ph.D., at least 4 years of relevant experience with a Master's degree, or at least 6 years of relevant experience with a Bachelor's degree.
- DNA sequencing experience
- Automated liquid handling experience is highly desirable
- Hamilton programming experience is highly desirable
- Experience with scripting languages such as Linux, Python and SQL is highly desirable
- Experience in developing products under design control or cGMP/QSR is a plus
Join us for competitive benefits and development opportunities in a progressive and supportive environment. Help us improve our service, and the experiences of our patients and colleagues. Work with us and together we can be better.
Your Quest career. Seek it out.
All requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Quest Diagnostics is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Disabled / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity or Citizenship.