Senior Software Engineer (Flexible Work Arrangement)
Look for more than answers.
Patients and Physicians rely on our diagnostic testing, information and services to help them make better healthcare decisions. These are often serious decisions with far-reaching consequences, and require sensitivity, tact and a clear dedication to service. It’s about providing clarity and hope.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will work for the world leader in the industry, with a career where you will have the opportunity to collaborate and affect change while expanding your leadership skills and technical knowledge. You can make a real impact in a market that is growing and developing.
Work as part of a small, agile team to design and implement new features and technologies in a variety of different products throughout Quest Diagnostics. Deliver high quality, high performance code in an agile environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop key product features within existing large-scale enterprise applications and new strategic initiatives that will drive system and operational efficiencies, measure system performance, and provide “glue” for complex solutions.
- Participate in the full SDLC involving design, implementation, testing, & launching.
- Assist with the generation and analysis of business and functional requirements for proposed software solutions.
- Participate in architectural and database design discussions as they relate to product direction.
- Develop features completely including the front-end components and the backend systems.
- Design and implement changes to systems that yield higher performance and resiliency while achieving lower operations overhead.
- Own the delivery of an entire piece of a system or application, and serve as a technical lead on small to midsize complex projects.
- Work closely with other engineers to develop the best technical design and approach for new product development.
- Build software solutions where the problem is not well defined. Design and define the interaction between the other component pieces.
- Consistently define and apply technologies, standards and software engineering practices, mentoring other team members.
- Contribute to the focus and effectiveness of the development team; tracking issues to resolution, monitoring the effectiveness of tasks, and providing status to the team lead.
- Raise long-term architecture issues within project.
- Conduct design and code reviews of multiple projects.
- Generate data for project planning, including task breakdown & estimation of work for a project. Competent in developing accurate estimates & risk assessments. Track status within the project as necessary.
- Communicate team and project status to project manager and director.
- May occasionally act in the Team Lead role
- Act as the designated expert for owned application area(s).
- Contribute to the continued improvement of the organization’s development procedures by looking for opportunities for improvement and implementing solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 5+ years professional experience in software development. Java programming is required plus one or more programming languages such as Ruby, Python, or C#.
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented (OO) design patterns, distributed databases, and data modeling techniques.
- Ability to work well with people and be both highly motivated and motivating.
- Experience in development of distributed/scalable systems and high-volume transaction applications.
- Experience with Web Technologies, Visual Basic, and multi-tier architectures.
Leadership Capabilities Individual Contributors Behaviors:
1. Know the Business
2. Focus on the Customer
3. Promote Strategic Alignment
4. Collaborate with Others
5. Communicate Openly & Transparently
6. Continuously Develop Self and Others
7. Deliver Superior Performance
8. Demonstrate Agility in Decision Making
9. Accelerate and Embrace Change
Join us for competitive benefits and development opportunities in a progressive and supportive environment. Help us improve our service, and the experiences of our patients and colleagues. Work with us and together we can be better.
Your Quest career. Seek it out.
All requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Quest Diagnostics is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Disabled / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity or Citizenship.