Barnes Aerospace is seeking a Smart Factory Manager to support strategy development, business case development, and to then spearhead projects at the plant level introducing and implementing Industry 4.0 technologies. This will include automation, robotics, IIOT, and any other innovative Industry 4.0 technologies across the Aerospace business units. This position will be at the forefront of understanding and implementing state of the art technologies in these areas. These responsibilities place the successful candidate in the unique position of integrating advanced manufacturing, secure connectivity, and actionable data analytics together to drive a new level of overall equipment effectiveness (OEE)
The successful candidate will be an innovative thinker who can both understand automation in manufacturing, be able to look at true capability, and identify the right place to implement it. They will be a great communicator that can work across diverse teams inside and outside the business. The ability to think outside of the box and embrace change will be critical to the success of this role.
We are seeking a business partner with deep understanding of the Operations Technology (OT) and Smart Factory space including controls, SCADA, and data analysis. This will be a challenging and rewarding opportunity for the right candidate who will contribute as a member of the Aerospace team supporting our global sites. If you are a high-energy, motivated individual who thrives in a fast-paced environment, please submit your resume for further consideration. This position reports to the President, Barnes Aerospace. ***This position can be seated in West Chester, OH or Windsor, CT.***
- Lead the strategic planning, development and deployment of Industry 4.0 and Smart Factory technology within Barnes Aerospace.
- Support the Aerospace strategy in making the right IIOT decisions based on solid evaluation practices.
- Drive the capability to analyze and evolve the systems to ensure constant improvement is maintained at the highest level.
- Ensure the factories have the best access to advice and the latest technological thinking and possible solutions.
- Coordinate the program management for key Industry 4.0/Smart Factory projects across Barnes Aerospace working with key stakeholders.
- Develop the strategies for implementing advances in new emerging technologies; partner closely with IT to align support for infrastructure, reporting, etc. to enable smart factory operations.
- Develop, evaluate, and improve manufacturing methods, utilizing knowledge of product design, materials and parts, fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment capabilities, assembly methods, and quality control standards.
- Utilize Industry 4.0 elements to develop proof of concepts and then scale up to production levels locally and cross plant.
- Analyze data and trends to identify problems and opportunities and makes recommendations to reduce gaps.
- Confer with management, engineering, and other staff regarding manufacturing capabilities, production schedules, and other considerations to facilitate production processes.
- Confer with vendors to determine product specifications and arrange for purchase of equipment, materials, or parts, and evaluates products according to specifications and quality standards.
- Develop and prepare formal business case justifications with cost/benefit supporting investments in equipment, resources, etc.
- Recommend methods for improving worker efficiency and reducing waste of materials and utilities such as restructuring job duties, reorganizing workflow, relocating workstations and equipment and purchase of equipment.
- Identify and facilitate the addition of advanced technologies that will enable self-optimization of the connected assets on the production line(s).
- Work with the production team to manage the stream of customer requirements for configurations of products.
- Assist in developing smart value stream management infrastructure and execution.
- Demonstrated success in deploying IIOT solutions to achieve business value
- Ability to work across multiple teams to build consensus and drive decision making
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; able to communicate and engage personnel at all levels of the organization
- Decisive and confident, open and candid with the ability to energize others
- Strong sense of urgency and personal commitment
- High energy individual with proven ability to effectively manage and complete multiple tasks concurrently
- A self-motivated individual able to work successfully with minimal supervision
- Project management skills to define, manage and deliver projects on time and within project budget.
- Preparing capital equipment justifications and requests
- 3D/2D CAD
- Experience with PLC programming and ladder logic
- Ability to read Blueprints, Electrical/Hydraulic Schematics
- Experience with advanced manufacturing techniques and the latest technology advances
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft analytics tools such as Excel, SQL, Tableau and Access)
- Experience with Inductive Automation’s Ignition software is considered a differentiator
- Travel to up to 25% (domestic and some international)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, with focus on Advanced Manufacturing Engineering, or related discipline
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)