Software Engineer lll
Look for more than answers. Patients and Physicians rely on our diagnostic testing, information and services to help them make better healthcare decisions. These are often serious decisions with far reaching consequences, and require sensitivity, tact and a clear dedication to service. It’s about providing clarity and hope.
You will work for the world leader in the industry, with a career where you can expand your skills and knowledge. You’ll have a role where you can act with professionalism, you can inspire colleagues, and you can care about the work we do and the people we serve.
At Quest, we are on a continuous journey of discovery and development. It’s this attitude that has made us an industry leader and the #1 Diagnostic Lab in the US. For those joining us, we offer exciting and fast moving career opportunities where you can affect change at a rate unheard of in many organizations of our size and scope. While we invest in and develop technology to drive our innovations, our ongoing success relies on our people.
Work as part of a small, agile team to design and implement new features and technologies in a variety of different products throughout Quest Diagnostics. Deliver high quality, high performance code in an agile environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop key product features within existing large-scale enterprise applications and new strategic initiatives that will drive system and operational efficiencies, measure system performance, and provide “glue” for complex solutions.
- Participate in the full SDLC involving design, implementation, testing, & launching.
- Assist with the generation and analysis of business and functional requirements for proposed software solutions.
- Participate in architectural and database design discussions as they relate to product direction.
- Develop features completely including the front-end components and the backend systems.
- Design and implement changes to systems that yield higher performance and resiliency while achieving lower operations overhead.
- Own the delivery of an entire piece of a system or application, and serve as a technical lead on small to midsize complex projects.
- Work closely with other engineers to develop the best technical design and approach for new product development.
Build software solutions where the problem is not well defined. Design and define the interaction between the other component pieces.
- Consistently define and apply technologies, standards and software engineering practices, mentoring other team members.
- Contribute to the focus and effectiveness of the development team; tracking issues to resolution, monitoring the effectiveness of tasks, and providing status to the team lead.
- Raise long-term architecture issues within project.
- Conduct design and code reviews of multiple projects.
- Generate data for project planning, including task breakdown & estimation of work for a project. Competent in developing accurate estimates & risk assessments. Track status within the project as necessary.
- Communicate team and project status to project manager and director.
- May occasionally act in the Team Lead role
- Act as the designated expert for owned application area(s).
- Contribute to the continued improvement of the organization’s development procedures by looking for opportunities for improvement and implementing solutions.
Education Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
5+ years professional experience in software development.
Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented (OO) design patterns, distributed databases, and data modeling techniques.
Physical and Mental:
Ability to multi-task, Analytical skills, Ability to follow verbal or written instructions, Thinking analytically, Communication, Using effective verbal communication, Using effective written communication, Handling stress & emotions, Concentrating on tasks, Making decisions, Adjusting to change, Examining/observing details, Sitting for long periods at a time
Other: Proficiency in Enterprise Java programming plus one or more modern programming languages such as Ruby, Python, or C#.
Ability to work well with people and be both highly motivated and motivating.
Experience in development of distributed/scalable systems and high-volume transaction applications.
Experience with Web Technologies, Visual Basic, and multi-tier architectures.