Senior Director, Software Engineering – Enabling Solutions
Recognized by FORTUNE magazine as one of the "World's Most Admired Companies," Quest Diagnostics is the world's leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services that doctors and patients need to make better healthcare decisions. They are pioneers in developing innovative diagnostic tests and advanced healthcare information technology solutions that help improve patient care.
With corporate headquarters in Secaucus, NJ, Quest Diagnostics is a Fortune 500 company traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: DGX) and included in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. With 2020 revenues of $9.44 Billion and approximately 50,000 employees and 6,600 patient locations across the US, Quest Diagnostics serves half of the physicians and hospitals in the US with their large variety of products and services.
The company offers the broadest access to diagnostic testing services through its network of laboratories and patient service centers and provides interpretive consultation through its extensive medical and scientific staff. Quest Diagnostics also provides services to employers, life insurance companies, other commercial labs, clinics, health plans, government agencies, and organizations involved in clinical trials research.
Approximately 150 million times each year, patients and their physicians rely upon Quest Diagnostics results to make important healthcare decisions and approximately one third of U.S. physicians – and many of the country's leading hospitals and health systems – relies on Quest Diagnostics healthcare information solutions to foster better patient care and outcomes.
- FORTUNE magazine's "World's Most Admired Companies" list for 7 consecutive years; one of only five companies to attain Most Admired status in the "Health Care, Pharmacy and Other Services" industry category.
- Fortune magazine's Fortune 500 list
- Forbes® Global 2000
- Forbes®' America's Best Employers List for third consecutive year
- Forbes® 2020 America's Best Employers for Women for second consecutive year
- S&P 500
- Barron's 500
- Member of the Dow Jones® Sustainability World Index
- Included in the FTSE4Good, Calvert, and Ocean Tomo sustainability indices
- Listed in the most recent Newsweek Green Rankings
- Consistently named one of the best places to work in U.S. business journal rankings
- Named a DiversityInc Noteworthy Company for third consecutive year
- Listed on the Disability Equality Index® (DEI), a joint initiative of the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD) and the US Business Leadership Network (USBLN), recognizing companies for prioritizing the inclusion of people with disabilities
- Named Top 23 'Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality' in New Jersey
- Achieved Cancer Gold Standard accreditation from the CEO Roundtable on Cancer, recognizing our actions to reduce the cancer risk of employees and their families
- Received C. Everett Koop National Health Award for Efforts to Promote Employee Health in 2020
Diagnostic Testing Services
Quest Diagnostics is the world's leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services that patients and doctors need to make better healthcare decisions. Their services range from routine blood tests — such as total cholesterol, Pap testing and white blood cell count — to complex, gene-based and molecular testing. They perform medical tests that aid in the diagnosis or detection of diseases, measure the progress or recovery from a disease or confirm that an individual is free from disease. In addition, they have specialized expertise in cancer, cardiovascular diseases, infectious diseases, and neurology.
In the $60 Billion and growing US Diagnostic Testing Market, Quest Diagnostics is the leader. Quest Diagnostics' reputation as a leading innovator, provider of high value, low cost solutions and its financial strength and flexibility make it well positioned to capitalize on the evolving healthcare landscape.
Quest Diagnostics' long-term strategy is to become the undisputed world leader in diagnostic testing, information, and services. To drive this profitable growth, Quest Diagnostics plans to leverage capabilities to create differentiation:
- Deliver Innovative Solutions
- Leverage their Unparalleled Access and Distribution Network
- Expand their relationships with large payors and health systems
- Deliver Superior Patient Experiences
As a Senior Director in the IT Enabling Solutions team, the successful candidate is responsible to lead and manage the application development services. Primary accountabilities include, but are not limited to, web-based applications, integration and other IT service delivery to support the Quest Diagnostics billing processes. The operations in scope include a mixed portfolio of vendor purchased, vendor hosted, and custom developed applications. The application leader will manage all activities related to managing the delivery, quality, stability of the portfolio, application life cycle, development requests, integration support, standardization, and retirement of non-standard solutions.
- Directs and oversees the software engineering function in developing, releasing, and maintaining software applications based on the business needs.
- In collaboration with the other Software Engineering and Development leaders, Architects, and Solution Delivery leaders, establishes policies and procedures that produce high-quality software products and services.
- Provide leadership, guidance, and supervision of direct report employees, using the Talent management practices, including coaching, training, individual professional development plans and motivate the staff via ongoing feedback.
- Manage relationships and cross-team collaboration with various teams at different locations and time zones, including offshore.
- Work closely with Business and IT Partners on establishing the Application Road Maps.
- Ensure assigned projects are executed according to established plans.
- Work closely with technical leads to create development estimates and maintain detailed timelines that meet project schedules and expectations.
- Guide software engineers in identifying and creating strategies that support company priorities, Compliance and Security Standards while promoting clarity, understanding and alignment among cross-functional delivery team members.
- Establish plans and promote continuous improvement of how solutions are delivered.
- Direct development operations (DevOps), working closely with project/release managers, software developers, QA, and IT operations to streamline software releases into production while mitigating customer impact.
- Direct release and deployment activities, ensuring that all software-related deployment tasks are planned and executed successfully.
- Oversee support issues and be on point for escalation or application issues.
- Work closely with the architects to help drive strategy to ensure that the software engineers comply with architecture standards and best practices that promote performance, scalability, security, and recoverability.
- Communicate effectively with all levels of IT and Business Stakeholders, keeping leaders apprised of issues, concerns, mitigation, and remediation plans.
- Stay abreast of industry trends and best practices.
- Enforce the Change and Release Management process to ensure compliance to guidelines and practices.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsible for interviewing, hiring, training, oversight of daily activities and performance appraisals of his/her employees including offshore team members.
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science or engineering or related fields.
- 10-15+ Years of software development experience focusing on Custom, web-based, and integration applications, including EDI
- 5+ years of people management experience in software development, including offshore resources.
- 5+ years of experience with Oracle, Weblogic, Jboss, Angular, Springboot, Java, SOAP/Rest Webservice, cloud integration applications including EDI
- 3+ years of experience leading the Agile Software delivery.
- Knowledge and understanding of current web development platforms and methodologies.
- Knowledge and experience of IBM Sterling Integrator platform.
- Knowledge and understanding of internet operations and functionality, and of a wide range of internet programming and design tools.
- Knowledge of system development techniques, hardware, data communications, problem analysis, and troubleshooting.
- Master's Degree in computer science or engineering or related fields.
- Direct experience leading large-scale cloud migration to Azure and AWS platforms.
- Design/development experience with EDI, APIs, and Micro-services / Cloud-native applications is a plus.
- 2+ years of experience in DevOps CI/CD tools such as GitLab, Perforce, and Jenkins.
- 2+ years of experience managing offshore software development teams.
- Hands-on experience transitioning development teams from Waterfall to Agile methodologies.
- Experience with implementing PCI compliant payment systems.
- Experience working within the medical laboratory, credit card, or health insurance industry.
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving and decision-making ability.
- Ability to lead the teams through ambiguity.
- Ability to effectively manage time and schedules.
- Ability to create and maintain service delivery scorecards.
- Strategic planning skills.
- Excellent presentation skills using PowerPoint.
- Ability to evaluate new packaged billing solutions, evolving websites and related Integration technologies.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- In-depth technical knowledge related to software development and information systems management.
- 2+ years of experience with Six Sigma and/or CMMi principles and processes.
All requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Quest Diagnostics is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Disabled / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity.
Please Log In or Register to Upload a Resume and complete the online Application by visiting questdiagnostics.com/careers, clicking "Job Search" and following the prompts. Because of the large number of applicants to job openings, Quest Diagnostics will only contact qualified candidates to be interviewed.