Specialist, External Communications
This position is based at the corporate office in Secaucus, NJ, with a hybrid work-from-home model. Occasional travel may be required.
Look for more than answers. Patients and Physicians rely on our diagnostic testing, information and services to help them make better healthcare decisions. These are often serious decisions with far reaching consequences, and require sensitivity, tact and a clear dedication to service. It’s about providing clarity and hope.
You will work for the world leader in the industry, with a career where you can expand your skills and knowledge. You’ll have a role where you can act with professionalism, you can inspire colleagues, and you can care about the work we do and the people we serve.
At Quest, we are on a continuous journey of discovery and development. It’s this attitude that has made us an industry leader and the #1 Diagnostic Lab in the US. For those joining us, we offer exciting and fast moving career opportunities where you can affect change at a rate unheard of in many organizations of our size and scope. While we invest in and develop technology to drive our innovations, our ongoing success relies on our people.
The Specialist, External Communications will help advance the company’s external reputation, focused on “action from insights.” This individual will play a key role in building the company’s consumer public relations program, which includes QuestDirect and other consumer-related activities and experiences. They will also collaborate with members of the corporate communications and marketing teams to support other areas of the business, such as the company’s medical franchises, key product launches, collaborations and scientific research. This person will also serve as a front-line media contact for reporters, will be responsible for the corporate communications department’s daily media monitoring reports and assist in developing formal results reports, which may include quarterly results reports.
While this individual will report to the Sr. Manager, Leader, Public Relations Center of Excellence (COE), they will work closely with individuals in the company’s medical franchises and business units, legal and compliance, medical affairs and quality, marketing and commercial teams. Key internal clients will be the company’s QuestDirect consumer business leader as well as the consumer marketing leader. This individual will be responsible for developing an evergreen media relations program, which includes social media, to support the consumer business, such as through milestone news pitching, product launch support and collaboration-based PR. The individual will also work closely with the Sr. Director, Corp Comms, among others, on the company’s agency-based PR program supporting the consumer business.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provides public relations support for the company’s consumer business including QuestDirect and consumer initiatives and experiences
• Manages day-to-day media relations for the company’s Consumer offerings, including pitching reporters on stories, setting up interviews, training executives and managing agency partners
• Serves as primary corporate communications contact for consumer business leaders
• Acts as conduit with social media team to drive engagement based on PR activities with online consumer platform
• Supports the execution of a broad range of PR programs to drive media coverage that supports the company’s business strategies
• Provides project management support for wide range of PR/media communications, internal communications, and social media activities
• Collaborates with internal clients to advise on diverse communications needs
• Coordinates with corporate communications colleagues in internal communications and social media for integrated communications
• Supports coordination with Agency Partners, Media Content Providers and other vendors
• Researches and writes wide range of public relations materials, including press releases, Q&As, Op-Eds, and social media / blog content, physician/patient stories; maintains editorial calendar
• Proofs and fact checks communications content, such as press releases, for accuracy, appropriateness and consistency
• Aids in development of visual content, including photographs and videos, to showcase company’s experts and innovations
• Helps facilitate legal/compliance review of a wide range of health, scientific and hi-tech materials, including press releases, case studies, contributed articles and Q&As, often on deadline
• Supports Sr. Manager, PR COE in responding to media inquiries and online influencers
• Manages scheduling and hosting of media interviews and preparing backgrounders for spokespeople
• May act as on-site PR representative at trade / industry events
• Manages the company’s Media Hotline and Email Channels, to proactively respond to reporters on deadline and surface and respond to emerging crises
• Monitors media coverage and escalates awareness of issues
• Distributes press releases via wire service
• Produces daily and quarterly reports of media coverage for senior leaders
• Helps oversee the company’s external online newsroom, including posting media statements and news coverage
Supervision Exercised: NA
Undergraduate degree is required, preferably in a Liberal Arts discipline or Communications or Journalism.
• 3-5 years of corporate or external communications experience in an agency, large public company and/or highly regulated company.
• Health care (including consumer healthcare) experience preferred.
• Passion for media relations and social media including story concept development and opportunistic pitching to generate news coverage.
• Demonstrated writing and editing ability that ideally includes health and science communications.
• Experience with PR platforms, such as MuckRack, Cision/PRNewswire, preferred.
• Strategic understanding of and ability to drive PR and communications as a business enabler
• Strong writer and storyteller -- translates sophisticated scientific, medical and and health information technology content into accessible prose
• Organized and able to prioritize multiple and shifting workload
• Able to work in a matrixed organization
• Comfortable with ambiguity and variety of team environments
• Collaborative and team oriented, able to work effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization
• Strong interpersonal skills, including poise, good judgement and discretion with senior staff
• Proactive self-starter -- committed to high standards and delivering results
• Deals regularly and responsibly with confidential information