Diagnostic Laboratory of Oklahoma at IBMC - 10pm-6am
Main Duties - Work both independently and as a team member in: Clinical lab and specimen processing. Handling and preparing samples for testing. Assist techs as needed. Communicating with others in the department. Answer phones and retrieve samples. Assist with troubleshooting. Other duties as needed.
Required Knowledge: Basic laboratory knowledge is a plus. Should be cognizant of laboratory safety. A self-starter with demonstrated initiative is desired.
Required Experience: Laboratory experience is preferred but not required. Experience with analytical instruments would be desirable.
Special Requirement: Must be able to communicate clearly and concisely both in person and one the telephone. Must have excellent dexterity. Must be able to take direction from multiple sources. Must be able to maintain multiple activities and keep others apprised of activity in the lab. Must be flexible with work hours; laboratory needs may dictate modification to scheduled hours.
Quest Diagnostics Basic Purpose:
The SPT I is responsible for general support functions within the Specimen Processing Department. This position requires passing a data entry assessment. Functions performed may include but are not limited to data entry of test orders, presort, pickup and delivery of processed specimens to the laboratory, centrifugation and aliquoting. Department is a production environment, with emphasis on productivity/quality standards and departmental completion times. All functions must be performed with confidence, accuracy and in a timely manner. Job is complex and requires that employee have good organization skills and ability to learn and understand specimen types related to test(s) ordered by client. The SPT I must have the ability learn and understand the compliance regulations related to test ordering which may change on a daily basis. This position is critical to quality for customer satisfaction. Additionally, since many changes do occur from day to day, great flexibility on the part of the SPT I is required. Majority of SPT I work, on the nightshift, but based on staffing needs weekends, holidays, on call and overtime is a requirement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Able to perform all responsibilities of the Specimen Preparation Assistant
- Demonstrates an ability to learn the job duties assigned to the SPT I, and develops an understanding of how all the functions in Specimen Processing fit together
- Identifies problems and in some cases, may resolve issues with specimen types such as missing information etc.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the compliance policies related to test ordering, which requires developing ability to research test ordering information on translation tables, computer system, and the directory of services
- Meets standards for production and accuracy within 6 months
- Understands the complex relationship between test(s) ordered and specimen received
- Completes all required written documentation, legibly and within the assigned timeframe
- Meets or exceeds all performance expectations to include attendance, adherence to work schedule and demonstrates Quest values and behaviors through work performance and peer and team interaction
- Is open to learning additional functions within Specimen Processing to allow timely progression to the next level
- Performs other duties as assigned
- HS diploma or equivalent
- Medical background preferred which includes medical terminology applicable to a clinical laboratory
- Previous experience in a production environment preferred
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Position requires data background with abilities to enter 6,000 alphanumeric keystrokes/hour
- Works in a biohazard environment, practicing good safety habits
- Able to sit or stand for long periods
- Handles multiple tasks simultaneously and works in a production environment
- Communicates effectively with all levels of staff
- Maintains composure while working under pressure
- Reflects good judgment at all times when determining what action to take when resolving problems
- Adheres to Quest Diagnostics core values, safety and compliance policies and procedures
- Keeps work area neat and clean
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills that foster a positive environment.
- Demonstrates flexibility and ability to adapt to change