Specimen Preparation Asst- Lenexa, Kansas - Monday - Friday, 11pm - 7:30am with alternating Saturdays
Know that there are people behind the data. Patients and Physicians rely on our diagnostic testing, information and services to help them make better healthcare decisions. These are often serious decisions with far reaching consequences, and require sensitivity, tact and a clear dedication to service. It’s about providing clarity and hope.
As a Specimen Processor you will work for the world leader in the industry, with a career where you can expand your skills and knowledge. You’ll have a role where you can act with professionalism, you can inspire colleagues, and you can care about the work we do and the people we serve.
At Quest, our Specimen Processors play an essential role in our success and provide a critical service responding to the often pressured requirements of accurate diagnoses. As a career, it offers a unique opportunity to learn and develop a profession offering long-term stability and development. You can also earn a competitive salary and great overtime, while growing your own career.
- The Specimen Processing department offers an excellent opportunity to enter into the laboratory business and is primarily responsible for preparation of work to be completed by Accessioning/Specimen Prep Technicians. Common job duties may include receiving shipment of specimens, unpacking, sorting, quality checks, distribution of specimens to various internal departments and restocking department and station supplies as needed.
- Department is a production environment with emphasis on productivity standards and departmental completion times. All duties must be performed with confidence, accuracy and in a timely manner. Job is complex and requires that employee have good organization skills and the ability to learn and understand specimen types related to test(s) ordered by client. The SPA will be exposed to many different demands made by the customer. Majority of SPA work on the nightshift, but based on staffing needs weekends, holidays, on call and overtime is a requirement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates an ability to learn the job duties in Specimen Processing, and develop a basic understanding on how all the functions in Specimen Processing fit together
- Identifies and resolves problems appropriately within the scope of the SPA responsibility
- Meets minimum standard for productivity within three months from hire date
- Learns and understands the complex relationship between test(s) ordered and specimen received
- Completes all required written documentation, legibly and within assigned timeframe
- Meets or exceeds all performance expectations to include attendance, adherence to work schedule and demonstrates Quest values and behaviors through work performance and peer and team interaction.
- Learns additional functions within Specimen Processing to allow timely progression to the next level.
- Additional duties as assigned
- HS diploma or equivalent
- Medical background preferred which includes medical terminology applicable to a clinical laboratory
- Previous experience in a production or distribution/warehouse/materials management environment preferred
- Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Works in a biohazard environment, practicing good safety habits
- Able to sit or stand for long periods
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs. several times per shift
- Handles multiple tasks simultaneously and works in a production environment
- Communicates effectively with all levels of staff
- Maintains composure while working in difficult situations
- Reflects good judgment at all times when determining what action to take while resolving problems
- Keeps work area neat and clean
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills and maintain a positive attitude at all times
- Demonstrates ability to adapt to change