Specimen Processing Mgr- Cleveland, Ohio - M-F
Know that there are people behind the data. Patients and Physicians rely on our diagnostic testing, information and services to help them make better healthcare decisions. These are often serious decisions with far reaching consequences, and require sensitivity, tact and a clear dedication to service. It’s about providing clarity and hope.
As a Specimen Processor you will work for the world leader in the industry, with a career where you can expand your skills and knowledge. You’ll have a role where you can act with professionalism, you can inspire colleagues, and you can care about the work we do and the people we serve.
At Quest, our Specimen Processors play an essential role in our success and provide a critical service responding to the often pressured requirements of accurate diagnoses. As a career, it offers a unique opportunity to learn and develop a profession offering long-term stability and development. You can also earn a competitive salary and great overtime, while growing your own career.
Oversee Specimen Processing, Imaging, Cytology Processing and Tech Ops, may also oversee some or all of the following: Referral Testing, Test In Question, and Histology Processing. Responsible for the overseeing following activities: training of all personnel, all daily operations of related departments, Ensure all Compliance Policies are followed, low error rate, and productivity within company standards. Ensure maintenance of a safe, ergonomically sound, professional environment.
- Plans, assigns, and directs work in the functional areas of responsibility. Serves as liaison with all other laboratory departments.
- Mentors and supports direct reports, i.e. Supervisors, QA Technician and Safety Coordinators in their responsibilities and functions, ensuring they receive training in supervisory skill development. Identifies and implements training programs as necessary.
- Defines, coordinates, and monitors quality assurance programs and supervises activities of the Quality Assurance Technician. Ensures quality control and compliance procedures are followed and QC reports are up to date. Oversee plans and preparations for inspections.
- Oversees staffing of all personnel in each department. Effectively maintains quality staffing by interviewing, hiring, training and providing staff development through performance evaluation and corrective counseling.
- Identifies future needs in terms of staff, equipment, and facilities. Submits appropriate documentation for procurement of such.
- Reviews staff performance, drives process and project management, and prepares and submits required reports to meet established deadlines.
- Ensures departmental standard operating procedures and database accurately reflects the current process.
- Coordinates with Laboratory Manager as it relates to operations and actively participates on subspecialty committees, corporate committees, and business unit committees as needed.
- Develops annual budget and manages department costs and resources to adhere to budget.
- Resolves problems through interaction with clients via phone calls or other means of communication.
- Defines, coordinates and monitors EHS programs and supervises activities of the Department Safety Coordinator. Ensures EHS regulatory standards and safety procedures are followed. Oversees plans and preparations for inspections.
- Where applicable, ensures all Federal, State & local licensure requirements are met, working with the QA and Medical Director’s offices.
- Monitor Special Handling of Jeopardized Clients, Hospital Clients and Vital Specimens to ensure there are no mishandled specimens/orders.
- Responsible to ensure Quest Diagnostics improvement and/or standardization initiatives are implemented.
- Monitor schedules to ensure minimal overtime for employees.
- Must have the mental alertness and high energy required to appropriately performing the job.
- The ability to effectively work with other departments to resolve problems. Must have interpersonal skills to gain cooperation with other departments, and foster continuous improvements.
- Must be flexible and available based on staffing requirements, weekends, and holidays, on call and long hours.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills, and is able to manage client concerns, technical department and employees in a professional manner.
- Make independent decisions and exercise consistent sound judgment.
- Capable of handling multiple priorities in a high volume setting.
- Able to organize and lead projects within the work group and with cross functional groups. Required to give presentations and speak in front of groups.
Incumbent should possess the knowledge, skills and experience usually obtained by:
- BA/BS or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of 8 years laboratory experience with at least 4 years of direct supervisory experience in the clinical or anatomical pathology laboratory.
- PC skills, MS Office applications
- Medical or production background preferred.
- Must have proven leadership, interpersonal skills and technical knowledge, strong organization and planning skills.
[All requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.]