Sr. Financial Analysts - Operating Cost Analytics
Operating Cost Analytics is a Center of Expertise that has ownership and responsibility for the analysis, forecasting and budgeting of operating costs for the DIS businesses. (Related expenditures approximate $5.4B). This position is an enabler to utilize analytical ability while learning specifics about the company and the healthcare industry. The role reports to the Manager, Operating Cost Analytics. Subsequent opportunities include, but are not limited to, various areas of Finance such as Corporate Planning and Analysis, Capital Investment & Analysis, Field Finance, as well as opportunities in other functional areas.
The ideal candidate will possess a Bachelor’s degree with three to five years of experience including strong computer, analytical and interpersonal skills. The candidate will have the opportunity to use and enhance leadership, analytical and problem solving skills through various responsibilities and projects. Responsibilities will reach beyond the department and require the building of relationships with various levels of Corporate and Field Finance. There will be a natural progression to other analytical and leadership roles within Quest Diagnostics.
1. Contribute to the Company’s establishment of an Operating Cost Analytics Center of Expertise with direct ownership and accountability for the analysis and explanation of significant trends, explaining monthly financial results, and the forecasting and budgeting process with respect to operating costs. Participate in the centralization of operating cost analytics, forecasting and budgeting processes (processes, SOP’s, checklists, system configuration and tools) to support efficient and effective analytics, forecasting and budgeting
2. Participate in the design of processes and tools that will enable the analysis, forecasting and budgeting of assigned operating costs on a functional basis at various levels of the organization (ie. Enterprise / DIS wide, Regional views, etc…).
3. Develop and maintain standardized best practices regarding the reporting and analysis of operating costs, including the design of management reporting, analytical tools and related processes. Drive continuous improvement to deliver the highest quality.
4. Calculate, report and analyze business performance metrics and master data elements, including SOP’s that outline the source, governance and use of such metrics as it relates to operating costs / functions for areas supported.
5. Integrate data from across various groups (Pathology and Professional Lab Services, Operations, IT, Invigorate, Ops Excellence, Regional Finance) to construct an overall understanding of our Operating Cost performance that delivers meaningful insights.
6. Contribute to monthly Operating Cost Analytics Reporting to Senior Leadership Teams (CFO, EFDs, SVP Commercial, SVP Operations) through the production of effective monthly “Operating Cost Analytics Reports” at the DIS ex, Total DIS and Total Company levels.
7. Serve as an effective supplier and customer to other members of the Operating Cost Analytics team. Supply other members of the team with top down insights, standard analytics, consistent forecasting and budget assumptions, where appropriate. Gain from other members of the team insights regarding local market dynamics, trends and occurrences. Leverage insights from the team to influence new tools, analytics and insights.
8. As this role has no general ledger responsibilities, serve as a resource for all the Regional Finance Teams when they have needs that conflict with the close schedule.
9. Exemplify the New Quest Behaviors. Through Collaboration and One Team behaviors, serve as an effective extension of the Regional Finance teams. Recognizing that this centralized team serves many business partners, be agile, customer focused and performance (results) oriented.
10. Continually reassess customer needs in light of business / market dynamics, proactively identifying trends and working with Business Partners to adjust deliverables accordingly.
11. Be actively committed to personal development through the continuous maintenance of an Individual Development Plan, engaging in training and learning opportunities, and having an active mentoring relationship. Set goals and develop a vision to obtain those goals. Work to achieve goals that have been set.
12. Special projects, as needed.
Important Personal and Other Attributes:
- Intellectual Horsepower:
- Strong analytical and computer skills
- High level of intuition
- Recognize that everyone has opportunities to lead, and demonstrate leadership
- Demonstrate tactical and strategic thinking leadership skills
- Demonstrate the highest level of integrity
- Challenge the status quo
- Possess strong change management skills
- Possess backbone, an ability to push back and hold ground
- Continually raise the bar
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Presentation skills and ability (to highest level in organization)
- Demonstrate a sense of urgency:
- Possess an appropriate level of “fire in the belly”
- Possess an insatiable sense of curiosity
- Performance and process driven
- Action oriented self-starter
- Customer service focused
- Personal Leadership
- Strive for continuous personal development
- Ability and desire to subsequently be promoted into higher positions