Since time began, the earth’s been a generous contributor to people’s well-being. We haven’t been around quite that long, but The Nature’s Bounty Co. has been enriching lives of consumers around the world for more than 70 years. And before we even got started, the world was developing our motivation: Nature’s bountiful effects on people’s health.
Through our years, we’ve been a leader in health and wellness with our innovative products and solutions. We put science and the highest quality standards at the heart of our business—that’s why The Nature’s Bounty Co. brands are some of the most trusted in the world. We’re a leading global manufacturer, marketer, distributor and retailer of vitamins, nutritional supplements, sports & active nutrition, and ethical beauty products.
We’re also a great place to work, with excellent benefits, competitive compensation and a progressive, healthy company culture. If you’ve ever spent your workdays watching the clock, you know how important a positive work environment is for a person’s well-being. The Nature’s Bounty Co. is committed to supporting wellness in all its forms. And when it comes to wellness, nature is a pretty good place to start.
The Product Development Senior Scientist manages and participates in technical projects and activities for The Nature’s Bounty Co.'s Vitamin, Mineral, Herbs and Supplements (VMHS) branded new products, including design, development, and technology transfer of new formulas, processes, products, line extensions and provides technical support to core products as needed.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Contributes to the successful execution of new product development activities inclusive of FEI (Front End of Innovation), Stage Gate and core Product Development activities and exploits enabling technology and delivery form platforms to support growth of current and future brands and platforms.
- Technical lead for VMHS projects where sugar and chocolate confectionary is the primary delivery form, including gummies, and other enjoyment forms.
- Plans, manages and completes technical projects and activities necessary to design, develop and optimize new and improved formulations/products/ delivery systems for The Nature’s Bounty Co. products that meet customer needs.
- Travels to and helps to operate confectionery pilot plant facilities, performs plant trials with co-manufacturers as well as internal plants both domestically and internationally.
- Creatively links formulation and/or product science and technology opportunities to the needs of the business through development and transfer of new products from Idea to Commercialization, transfers technologies from bench/pilot to manufacturing scale and successfully implements proprietary and differentiated technical solutions.
- Conducts design and development activities where analysis of situations or data requires evaluation of variable factors.
- Contributes to the development of new principles or concepts that lead to capability and competency enhancements and/or higher impact/value opportunities.
- Applies fundamental understanding of research principles and the scientific method, and acts as a role model in fostering a test-and-learn environment that improves R&D influence and effectiveness.
- Manages the identification, assessment and development of enabling technology/delivery form platforms to enable meaningfully unique delivery of current and future ingredients/bio actives.
- Collects, analyzes, interprets, draws conclusions and makes recommendations from data to enable technical execution of projects.
- Modifies methodologies to improve the quality, accuracy and usefulness of data.
- Provides technical recommendations to R&D, Project and Brand teams through clear and concise oral and written communications.
- Participates in writing Master Batch Records (MBR’s) for internal manufacture, raw material specifications and other manufacturing documents needed for feasibility, development and manufacturing activities in both internal and external facilities.
- Partners closely with technical staff as needed at internal and external contract research, development and manufacturing sites to successfully advance projects.
- Participates in the development, documentation and transfer of critical ingredient, product, and process parameters/specifications to internal and external Manufacturing and Quality Assurance functions to ensure consumer focused and robust design of new products, processes and characterizing methods.
- Ensures that proper documentation for all technical and project work is completed.
- Designs, conducts and documents stability testing protocols to support product development efforts in order to recommend and support product dating.
- Contributes to the development and review of intellectual property strategy and conducts patent searches, literature reviews and is current with cross industry technology insights.
- Understands application and benefits/costs to our product portfolio.
- Ensures competitive advantage through implementation of proprietary and differentiated technical solutions.
- Leads technical activities to assist advancement of multiple projects concurrently through the Stage Gate product development process.
- Engages in pre-formulation, formulation and formulation enhancement activities including bench, pilot and production scale trials at internal and external development and manufacturing sites.
- Participates in exploratory and scouting activities to generate new product ideas with differentiated technology. Identifies, evaluates and selects new ingredients, delivery forms, processes and technologies to guide product development initiatives.
- Prepares cost quotes for new products targeting proposed claims and product benefits.
- Conducts scientific review and specification of required active ingredients.
- Participates in or leads problem solving and troubleshooting activities.
- Presents interpreted results and updates to management and project team members and stakeholders.
- Participates in training, qualification of products and writing of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).