Senior Director, Hospital Laboratory System
Professional Lab Services (NJ)
Recognized by FORTUNE magazine as one of the “World’s Most Admired Companies,” Quest Diagnostics is the world's leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services that doctors and patients need to make better healthcare decisions. They are pioneers in developing innovative diagnostic tests and advanced healthcare information technology solutions that help improve patient care.
With corporate headquarters in Secaucus, NJ, Quest Diagnostics is a Fortune 500 company traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: DGX) and included in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. With 2019 revenues of around $7.7 Billion and approximately 46,000 employees and 6,600 patient locations across the US, Quest Diagnostics serves half of the physicians and hospitals in the US with their large variety of products and services.
The company offers the broadest access to diagnostic testing services through its network of laboratories and patient service centers and provides interpretive consultation through its extensive medical and scientific staff. Quest Diagnostics also provides services to employers, life insurance companies, other commercial labs, clinics, health plans, government agencies, and organizations involved in clinical trials research.
Approximately 150 million times each year, patients and their physicians rely upon Quest Diagnostics results to make important healthcare decisions and approximately one third of U.S. physicians – and many of the country’s leading hospitals and health systems – relies on Quest Diagnostics healthcare information solutions to foster better patient care and outcomes.
FORTUNE magazine's "World's Most Admired Companies" list for 6 consecutive years; one of only five companies to attain Most Admired status in the "Health Care, Pharmacy and Other Services" industry category.
Fortune magazine’s Fortune 500 list
Forbes® Global 2000
Forbes®' America's Best Employers List for third consecutive year
Forbes® 2019 America’s Best Employers for Women
Member of the Dow Jones® Sustainability World Index
Listed in the most recent Newsweek Green Rankings
Consistently named one of the best places to work in U.S. business journal rankings
Named a DiversityInc Noteworthy Company for third consecutive year
Listed on the Disability Equality Index® (DEI), a joint initiative of the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD) and the US Business Leadership Network (USBLN), recognizing companies for prioritizing the inclusion of people with disabilities
Named Top 23 ‘Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality’ in New Jersey
Diagnostic Testing Services
Quest Diagnostics is the world’s leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services that patients and doctors need to make better healthcare decisions. Their services range from routine blood tests — such as total cholesterol, Pap testing and white blood cell count — to complex, gene-based and molecular testing. They perform medical tests that aid in the diagnosis or detection of diseases, measure the progress or recovery from a disease or confirm that an individual is free from disease. In addition, they have specialized expertise in cancer, cardiovascular diseases, infectious diseases, and neurology.
In the $60 Billion and growing US Diagnostic Testing Market, Quest Diagnostics is the leader. Quest Diagnostics’ reputation as a leading innovator, provider of high value, low cost solutions and its financial strength and flexibility make it well positioned to capitalize on the evolving healthcare landscape.
Quest Diagnostics’ long-term strategy is to become the undisputed world leader in diagnostic testing, information and services. To drive this profitable growth, Quest Diagnostics plans to leverage capabilities to create differentiation:
Deliver Innovative Solutions
Leverage their Unparalleled Access and Distribution Network
Expand their relationships with large payors and health systems
Deliver Superior Patient Experiences
The Senior Director, Hospital Laboratory System is responsible for leading laboratory operations and client relations for Quest Diagnostics’ Professional Lab Services (PLS) business across a network of health systems. S/He will develop and execute short- and long-term strategies to enable top and bottom line growth through strong business acumen, collaboration, and operational excellence mindset.
The Senior Director will ensure service excellence with patient care as a primary objective while adhering to contracted terms. S/He will effectively manage internal and external stakeholders in a matrix environment, balancing needs and driving toward desired outcomes. The Senior Director leads and motivates a leadership team across a network of hospital sites and is accountable for the accuracy and reliability of all services provided by the laboratories under his/her supervision. This position is responsible for bringing the best of Quest Diagnostics’ medical and service quality capabilities to bear for the client.
Scope of responsibility:
~$100M in revenues
- Laboratory operation across multiple facilities
- High degree of complexity based on factors including but not limited to: broad hospital executive team, Business Advisory Committee (BAC) and Lab Advisory Committee (LAC) engagement; large employee base (500+); significant test movement; establishment/operation of COEs; service expansion i.e. lab and blood stewardship; geographic spread
Duties and Responsibilities:
Interface with COO, VP Lab Ops and Medical Director community to build support for path forward toward value for mutual benefit of the Company and hospital systems clients
- Establish short- and long-term goals with clients; direct resources in the deployment, management and execution of all aspects of implementation plans to ensure goals are met and contracted terms adhered to
- Maintain compliance in accordance with all applicable state and federal regulations as well as Quest Diagnostics and hospital systems policies
- Ensure the laboratories maintains certification in all testing areas to retain licensure
- Ensure that all testing performed under his/her supervision is according to established, approved procedures and quality control policies and meet contract requirements
- Lead change initiatives related to laboratory hospital information systems, implementation of integration and equipment standardization plans and interface opportunities
- Represent the laboratory in hospital committee and medical staff meetings as required
- Accountable to prepare and deliver necessary content for the Lab Advisory and Business Committee presentations as required by the contract
- Perform management tasks to include: direct management of staff, workforce planning, staffing, performance management, talent management and staff development
- Make recommendations for the purchase of capital equipment
- Support and participate in the hospital's performance improvement process to continuously improve the quality of patient care
- Exercise strong operational excellence and root cause problem solving to solve for and avoid emerging issues
- Manage a budget
- Oversee a leadership team of lab directors across hospital system sites
Bachelor’s degree in a Business or Life Sciences required; Master’s degree or MBA in Business Life Sciences strongly preferred
10+ years of healthcare operations experience is required
- Prior hospital experience highly preferred
- Prior experience working in highly regulated environments high preferred
- Business and financial acumen
- Customer centric mindset
- Ability to navigate organizational dynamics at senior levels across both Company and customer in order to meet common objectives
- Negotiation skills
- Organizational skills
- Results orientation
- Executive presence
- Interpersonal skills
- Change agent
- Strong people leader to motivate and develop teams to achieve vision and drive for outcomes
- Foundation in operational excellence and tools such as Lean and Six Sigma
- Systems thinking and problem-solving mind-set
- Matrix management
Please Log In or Register to Upload a Resume and complete the online Application by visiting careers.questdiagnostics.com, clicking “Job Search” and following the prompts. Because of the large number of applicants to job openings, Quest Diagnostics will only contact qualified candidates for interviews.
Quest Diagnostics is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.