Sr. Director Lab Operations – Employer Solutions—Lenexa, KS
Recognized by FORTUNE magazine as one of the “World’s Most Admired Companies,” Quest Diagnostics is the world's leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services that doctors and patients need to make better healthcare decisions. They are pioneers in developing innovative diagnostic tests and advanced healthcare information technology solutions that help improve patient care.
With corporate headquarters in Secaucus, NJ, Quest Diagnostics is a Fortune 500 company, traded on the New York Stock Exchange and included in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. With 2018 revenues of $7.53 Billion, and approximately 46,000 employees and 6,600 patient locations across the US, Quest Diagnostics serves half of the physicians and hospitals in the US with their large variety of products and services.
The company offers the broadest access to diagnostic testing services through its network of laboratories and patient service centers and provides interpretive consultation through its extensive medical and scientific staff. Quest Diagnostics also provides services to employers, life insurance companies, other commercial labs, clinics, health plans, government agencies, and organizations involved in clinical trials research.
Approximately 150 million times each year, patients and their physicians rely upon Quest Diagnostics results to make important healthcare decisions.
Quest Diagnostics Healthcare IT solutions connect over 165,000 physicians.
Approximately one third of U.S. physicians – and many of the country’s leading hospitals and health systems – relies on Quest Diagnostics healthcare information solutions to foster better patient care and improve their business performance.
FORTUNE magazine's "World's Most Admired Companies" list for 4 consecutive years; one of only five companies to attain Most Admired status in the "Health Care, Pharmacy and Other Services" industry category.
Fortune magazine’s Fortune 500 list
Forbes Global 2000
Member of the Dow Jones® Sustainability World Index
Consistently named one of the best places to work in U.S. business journal rankings
Named a DiversityInc Noteworthy Company for the second consecutive year in 2018
Diagnostic Testing Services
Quest Diagnostics is the world’s leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services that patients and doctors need to make better healthcare decisions. Their services range from routine blood tests — such as total cholesterol, Pap testing and white blood cell count — to complex, gene-based and molecular testing. They perform medical tests that aid in the diagnosis or detection of diseases, measure the progress or recovery from a disease or confirm that an individual is free from disease. In addition, they have specialized expertise in cancer, cardiovascular diseases, infectious diseases, and neurology.
In the $60 Billion and growing US Diagnostic Testing Market, Quest Diagnostics is the leader. Quest Diagnostics’ reputation as a leading innovator, provider of high value, low cost solutions and its financial strength and flexibility make it well positioned to capitalize on the evolving healthcare landscape.
Quest Diagnostics’ long-term strategy is to become the undisputed world leader in diagnostic testing, information and services. To drive this profitable growth, Quest Diagnostics plans to leverage capabilities to create differentiation:
Deliver Innovative Solutions
Leverage their Unparalleled Access and Distribution Network
Expand their relationships with large payors and health systems
Deliver Superior Patient Experiences
Employer Solutions is the leader in workplace drug testing, processing 14M drug test in three US SAMSHA-certified laboratories that offer broad testing capacity and redundancy.
The Senior Director of Lab Operations, Science and Research and Development (R&D) is responsible for leading Quest Diagnostics’ Employer Solutions domestic laboratory operations (forensic toxicology). As a Laboratory Operations Senior Director, you are responsible for the technical and scientific lab operations for laboratories with volume of 44,000+ reqs per day and oversight of 700+ employees. Responsible through lab managers for quality and timeliness of technical procedures, compliance, and overall lab budget. This role will lead Scientific Directors and the R&D division.
The Sr. Director is responsible for ensuring the overall success of the workforce forensic toxicology laboratories operations as measured by meeting/maintaining budget projections; client satisfaction; professional staff development over the laboratories, scientists and R&D as well and overall communications within/between Sales/Marketing, Finance, Human Resources and IT. The Sr. Director will be responsible for strategy and execution driving improved operational excellence, customer experience and employee experience while upholding the history of superior quality.
The ideal candidate will have successfully demonstrated experience driving transformational change in a services business by building and motivating teams, leveraging technology and automation as well as bringing to life lean, six sigma, and problem-solving methodology. As a member of the senior leadership team, the Sr. Lab Director will drive a strong partnership with the Exec Director of Sales and Marketing and Sr. Director of Operations to drive profitable growth and a stellar customer experience.
The individual in this role will work closely with the Director of Corporate Quality to cross-functionally lead and influence successful business outcomes relative to lab systems standardization, laboratory footprint changes, capacity building, and automation. As such, strong program management and influencing skills are critical.
This role is also responsible for oversight of Employee Health and Safety (EHS) and Facilities Management for the laboratories.
700 employees, 9 direct reports
Annual budget: $300M
Laboratory volume: 44.5K day
Laboratory Sites: Lenexa, KS; Tucker, GA; Norristown, PA
Duties and Responsibilities
Strategic lab automation: Set direction for journey toward next stage “Lab of the Future” through automation
Lab footprint optimization: Optimize hub and non-hub network footprint balancing customer experience and cost effectiveness
Reliability and value engineering: Accountable for enterprise-wide asset management, total productive maintenance strategy and process, reliability engineering, service contract optimization and scientific development
Enabling growth: lead and partner with R&D on product deployment (new test launch process improvement and prioritization); optimize cost of testing
- Ensure open and timely communication between laboratories, Specimen Management, IT, client services, sales, marketing and other laboratories within Quest Diagnostics
- Oversee and manage the budget and productivity measurements of reference laboratories business operations
- Coordinate and attend Supervisor/Lab Manager meetings to communicate and develop administrative policies/procedures, morale booster program for lab personnel, and monitor set up/report schedule, weekend coverage, client services, safety coverage, etc.
- Work with Human Resources in the areas of personnel hiring, policies and procedure changes, and workman's compensation issues
- Monitor turnaround time of all assays by monitoring delivery of samples to the labs and reporting of assays. Work with managers and supervisors to establish preventive measures for delayed reports. Work with Information Technology for changes in software and coordinate lab requirements.
- Coordinate Quality Assurance activities by reviewing quality measure and survey reports. Support and coordinate customer driven quality activities in reference laboratory operations and Specimen Management.
- Provide and collect information from the labs to assist Corporate Safety, Medical Administration, Sales and Marketing, and Human Resources
- Lead and coordinate in monthly R&D meetings
- Ensures coordination and implementation of standardization initiatives within the Hospital Services labs and other Quest Diagnostics BU's
- Provides operational support for internalizing new assays/methods validated by R&D
A current or former Responsible Person (RP) under National Laboratory Certification Program (NLCP) is desired
Ensures that all laboratory activities and operations are carried out in compliance with local, state, federal, and governmental regulations and laws
The successful candidate for Sr. Director Lab Operations will have the following attributes and/or experiences:
- 10-15 years of professional experience in lab operations or manufacturing, with a minimum of 5 years in a leader’s capacity. Prior toxicology or clinical lab experience is a plus.
- BA or BS is required; an advanced degree is preferred
- Advanced degree in Life Sciences and Business desirable. BSMT (MS/PhD desirable); ASCP Certification preferred
- Preferred Black or Green Belt
Business and Financial Acumen
Building Effective Teams
Promoting Strategic Alignment
Drive for Results
Ability to work within a matrixed organizational structure
Please Log In or Register to Upload a Resume and complete the online Application by visiting questdiagnostics.com/careers, clicking “Job Search” and following the prompts. Because of the large number of applicants to job openings, Quest Diagnostics will only contact qualified candidates to be interviewed.