The Strategic Sales Engineer role partners with Sales Teams to uncover new or incremental, margin rich, revenue opportunities within the Enterprise space. The role requires the ability to communicate detailed technical, architectural, engineering and product deliverables across multiple towers to all levels inside a customer organization. This role supports Windstream’s Key accounts and the Strategic Sales Engineer is highly influential in leading customers to make purchasing decisions based on solutions designed to solve the customer’s technical and financial requirements. Their blend of technical and professional skills foster a collaborative environment with internal and external customer teams, providing a unique customer experience.
- Conducts business in a consultative manner, understanding the communication applications and business challenges facing our prospective and current customers.
- Designs, sells, and supports solutions to customers utilizing the entire suite of Windstream products in order to drive, maintain and increase profitable revenue.
- Supports Sales and Customer Advocate teams with proposal generation for all Windstream solutions. Including, but not limited to, pricing assistance, equipment design, Visio documentation, and technical documentation necessary in pre-sale and the post signature “hand off” event to Engineering and Service Delivery during implementation phase.
- Clearly articulates value statements and network designs to high level executives.
- Assists in preparing, completing and presenting all technical designs and paperwork to the Engineering and Service Delivery teams for hand off during the Project Management and Implementation phase of the lifecycle. Engagement post “hand off” event should be the exception and will require approval from the SE Director in that Region.
- Creates and delivers focused in-depth technical training for the Sales Engineers in their Regions
- Acts as a Technical Mentor to the sales engineers within their Region.
- Conducts product seminar focused training to customers in collaboration with Sales teams to drive new or incremental profitable revenue
- Provides technical expertise to Marketing and Training teams during creation and rollout of new services or enhancements to existing offerings.
- Represents Windstream on customer appointments as a subject matter technology expert specializing in Cloud, Network & Transport solutions.
- Develops collaborative relationships via daily interaction with all functional teams at all levels.
- Stays current on the industry, technology and vertical market news and trends.
- Process Improvement: Will utilize expertise developed in executing the above duties to help streamline and improve Sales and SE processes. Responsible for regularly recommending improvements to management.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Communication: Advanced written and verbal communication skills. Must have the ability to build relationships over the phone and in person. Must have a proactive communication style ensuring timely status updates to account team and customer. Must be able to extract hidden or unrealized customer requirements and gain consensus on these requirements with the customer. Ability to focus ambiguous customer needs into specific, deliverable requirements. Able to develop relationships and communicate with high level customer technical and executive staff.
- Technical Skills: Advanced understanding of voice/data/internet applications, communications technology and network design. Advanced understanding of technical terminology related to company products & services. Requires general knowledge of voice and data communications equipment. Understanding of technologies that support SD-WAN, UCaaS & Security. Advanced understanding of sales cycles and the solution selling process, preferably at multiple levels, i.e., Internet & Enterprise. Advanced level presentation skills.
- Problem Solving: Advanced analytical skills. Must be able to work through complex issues with a methodical approach. Advanced ability to graphically depict solutions in a compelling manner.
- Work Style: Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines. Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously. Must be detail oriented.
- Preferable industry certifications (CCNA, CCENT, etc.)
- Understanding of technologies that support vertical markets (retail, finance, healthcare, etc).
- Computer Skills: Advanced MS Office Suite knowledge and usage. Ability to learn internal company systems, such as Siebel, Granite, and Network Engineer.
- Business Acumen: Intermediate understanding of company financial measures. Must have a strong understanding of telecommunications industry, vertical markets and sales cycles.
Job Category: Sales
Employment at Windstream is subject to post offer, pre-employment drug testing. Equal Opportunity Employer including minority/female/disability/veteran; Without regard to: race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or employment status. Windstream is a drug-free workplace.