The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA), the sixth largest bus network in the U.S. is seeking highly motivated individuals for the position of Bus Operations Manager. The individual should possess experience working in a large bus transportation environment. The position entails the supervision of bus/motor coach operator personnel upwards to 400+ to ensure the safe and efficient operation of bus services across the Washington Metro area. WMATA is a safety-first organization and is committed to improving our customer's experience. The ideal candidates should have experience conducting investigations specific to customer complaints, bus operator incidents and can provide coaching, guidance and any necessary discipline to their respective bus operations staff. WMATA operates twenty- four (24) hours, seven (7) days a week, three hundred & sixty- five (365) days a year.
The incumbents in this role must be able to manage projects, multitask and ability to prioritize, forge partnerships within the organization and with entities outside the organization and work in a supportive and collaborative capacity in support of the division activities and staff.
WMATA offers a generous benefits package to include health, dental, group life insurance, paid holidays, annual and sick leave, retirement plan as well as tuition reimbursement, flexible spending accounts, and free transportation on Metrobus and rail.
- Bachelor's Degree in Transportation Management, or a related field
- In lieu of a Bachelor's Degree, a High School diploma or GED and four (4) years of transportation operations industry experience
- Seven (7) years of Transit Operations experience, to include a minimum of four (4) years as a supervisor/manager over activities requiring the planning and coordination of major transit service delivery operations.
- Driver's License from the jurisdiction of residence
- No more than 2 points and 1 moving violation in a 24-month period (BOCC only)
- Bachelor's Degree in Transportation Management or a related field
- Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this job, if required. Incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation(s).
- In accordance with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority's Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) this job has been identified as critical to mission essential functions. Incumbents in this role may be required to report to or continue to work in the event of authorized office closings or service suspensions due to severe weather, natural disaster, fire, operational emergencies or related events.
The Superintendent Service Operations directs all Bus Transportation related work and activities for assigned sector (Bus Division or Bus Operations Central Control (BOCC)) and is responsible for ensuring and maintaining optimal service performance and for identifying and resolving service issues. The Superintendent implements and delivers positive outcomes pertaining to the effectiveness of customer service, all bus transportation service delivery, workforce productivity, cost performance, and other service improvements and programming activities associated with assigned sector, in partnership with other Bus Operations leadership.
- Manages the daily operations of the bus operations service delivery functions for assigned sector to ensure that all services are being operated on schedule and customers are being provided with safe, reliable and courteous service, and all administrative business functions and processes are being performed efficiently and effectively.
- Monitors and evaluates staff performance and provides feedback, coaching, positive discipline and other mechanisms to identify performance improvement requirements, and to further develop skills; provides recognition for high performance.
- Creates and maintains an environment focused on safety and coordinates with the safety and training departments to ensure all safety goals and directives are met and staff is properly trained.
- Provides tactical staff response oversight for emergency incidents and special events within the metropolitan area and coordinates both organizational and external partner participation.
- Assists, supports or leads accident/incident investigations, including any needed on-site assistance and support to safety and training personnel.
- Supports, implements and monitors department initiatives, policies, standards, operating procedures, and short/long-range objectives aimed at improving business processes and overall service delivery.
- Interacts with customers, communities, and businesses to identify and implement new service and improvements to existing service.
- Tracks, compiles, analyzes and reports on bus service delivery key performance indicators, including bus operator performance reports and handles interdepartmental issues.
- Oversees the daily supervision of bus operators, supervisor staff and/or communication specialists and maintains close communication with staff of other service operations sectors as necessary, to ensure a safe and efficient bus service operation.
- Communicates and/or manages staffing needs, assists staff assigned to recruiting cycle in identifying, interviewing hiring quality candidates.
- Assures that employee grievances are heard and resolved with help from appropriate support employees and/or departments as required.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.