Are you looking for an opportunity to join the management team of the mobility provider of choice in the region and employer of choice in the industry? The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (Metro) is seeking an individual for the role of Superintendent, Street Operations.
Metro's Bus Transportation Street Operations play an integral role in the delivery of bus services to Washington Metropolitan region with the overall goal to of maintaining the delivery of optimal service performance and identifying and bringing resolution to service issues throughout the Washington DC metropolitan area. The ideal candidate will be a leader and innovative thinker to ensure the necessary transportation activities are carried out within the Street Operations Unit and partner with the Bus Transportation/Operations leadership to ensure the overall objectives and goals are carried out and met along with ensuring safe street operations.
The incumbent in this role must be able to forge partnerships within the organization and with entities outside the organization and work together in a supportive and collaborative capacity with the Bus Operations leadership.
- Bachelor's Degree in Transportation Management, or a related field
- In lieu of a Bachelor's Degree, a High School diploma or GED, vocational training and four (4) years of supervisory and/or management experience
- A minimum of seven (7) years of bus operations and/or transit operations, administrative experience, to include a minimum of four (4) years of experience as a supervisor/manager over transit activities requiring the planning and coordination of major transportation operations.
- Commercial Driver's License from the jurisdiction of residence
- No more than 2 points and 1 moving violation in a 24-month period
- Bachelor's Degree in Transportation Management or a related field
Ability to satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position. Must be able to perform the essential functions of this job either with or without reasonable accommodation(s).
The Superintendent Street Operations directs all Bus Transportation related work and activities for assigned Street Divisions within Bus Transportation (BTRA), planning, ensuring and maintaining the delivery of optimal service performance and identifying and resolving service issues. The Superintendent implements and delivers positive outcomes pertaining to the effectiveness of customer service, all bus transportation service delivery, workforce productivity, cost performance, and other associated service improvements and programming activities, in partnership with other Bus Operations leadership.
- Manages the daily bus transit field operations service delivery functions to ensure that all services are being operated on schedule and customers are being provided with safe, reliable and courteous service, and all administrative business functions and processes are being performed efficiently and effectively.
- Oversees the activities of bus operators and transit field supervisory staff while maintaining close communication with the Bus Operations Communication Center (BOCC) staff and other service operations sector staff as necessary, to ensure a safe and efficient bus service operation.
- Tracks, compiles, analyzes and reports on bus service delivery key performance indicators, including bus operator performance reports and handles interdepartmental issues.
- Interacts with customers, communities, and businesses to identify and implement new service and improvements to existing service.
- Supports, implements and monitors department initiatives, policies, standards, operating procedures, and short/long-range objectives aimed at improving business processes and overall service delivery.
- Leads accident/incident investigations, including any needed on-site assistance and support to safety and training personnel.
- Provides tactical staff response oversight for emergency incidents and special events within the metropolitan area and coordinates both organizational and external partner participation.
- Creates and maintains an environment focused on safety and coordinates with the safety and training departments to ensure all safety goals and directives are met and staff is properly trained.
- Monitors and evaluates staff performance and provides feedback, coaching, positive discipline and other mechanisms to identify performance improvement requirements, and to further develop skills; provides recognition for high performance.
- Performs compliance audits of staff and processes and takes action to make corrections where applicable.
- Communicates and/or manages staffing needs, assists staff assigned to recruiting cycle in identifying, interviewing hiring quality candidates.
- Supports the employee grievances and arbitration processes by providing information or materials as required.
- Oversees all BTRA assigned service vehicles.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.