SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
The Assistant Manager plays an important leadership role in the department by structuring and coordinating staff testing activities, playing a role in the hiring and training of new staff members, participating in the review and approval process of SOPs and protocols, and by managing special projects requested by clients or initiated to improve the overall efficiency of the laboratories. Overall, the Assistant Manager’s role present the employee with an opportunity for professional growth and development both in terms of technical expertise and managerial skills.
Directly reports to the Director of Microbiology
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
At all times, comply with SGS Code of Integrity and Professional Conduct, and to conduct all our testing to to the highest level of cGMP compliance.
SERVICE RESPONSIBILITIES TO CUSTOMERS
- Ensure that all client requests pertaining to the conduct of a given test are met in a timely and ultimately effective manner.
- Ensure that routine testing submitted by clients is completed within established parameters governing turnaround time, quality specifications, etc.
- Work with business development team to build client relationships.
- Ensure that client complaints are handled effectively according to applicable SGS SOPs.
- Play a lead role in departmental and/or company-wide projects designed to improve the client service.
- Ensure that testing performed adheres to all applicable standards and procedures, and results are accurately reported.
- Participate in client audits for the facility.
- Respond to corrective action requests initiated by client observation.
SERVICE RESPONSIBILITIES TO INTERNAL CUSTOMERS
- Work creatively and proactively with the Department Manager or Executive Management.
- Ensure that all reasonable requests from the Manager of the department of the General Manager of SGS are met in a timely and effective manner.
- Ensure that study directors and team leaders working in the department have the resources needed to successfully complete the studies.
- Provide administrative staff with appropriate notification of any special requests regarding log-in, reporting, and billing activities.
- Play a lead role in departmental or company-wide projects designed to improve the internal efficiency and overall quality of work performed in the laboratory.
- Play a lead role in creating and maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork throughout the laboratory.
- Respond to corrective action requests generated by internal audits.
- Participate in management review meetings.
- Review of department trend analysis reports and internal studies or investigations.
- Ensure corrective action is initiated when required.
- Provide complete analysis of test results, investigation or information studies.
- Be capable of assuming study director responsibilities for all routine testing as well as certain advanced or specialized studies as requested by clients. Duties may include test scheduling, test preparation, proper application of test method(s), data collection, data review, and approval of final report of analysis.
- Maintain thorough knowledge and understanding of all SOPs pertaining to microbiology/sterility assurance.
- Maintain thorough knowledge and understanding of GMP/GLP/ISO requirements as these pertain to work performed in the lan and insure implementation within the department.
- Maintain thorough knowledge and understanding of regulatory requirements pertaining to microbiology and sterility assurance testing.
- Play a lead role in the review and approval for appropriate department SOPs, protocols, and data forms.
- Ensure equipment maintenance and calibration performed within the department meets the calibration/maintenance schedule.
- Take a lead role in validating new equipment or testing procedures.
- Regularly attend meetings and seminars to stay current with industry practice.
- Adherence to relevant SGS SOPs governing documentation and reporting.
- Compliance with applicable SGS SOPs related to the handling of client complaints.
- Adherence to applicable SGS personnel policies regarding time clock, telephones, paid time off, etc.
- Participation in general staff training sessions as these are scheduled.
- Conduct department meetings and initiate group training or sub-department meetings.
- Organize the efforts of department staff in all areas related to testing (equipment maintenance and calibration, test preparation, test conduct, data review, and reporting).
- Monitor the status of the laboratory with a focus on quality and turnaround time.
- Structure the training of incoming microbiologists and laboratory technicians.
- Assure appropriate allocation of personnel, equipment, and resources to provide smooth laboratory operations.
- Provide assistance in resolving internal conflicts.
- Take a lead role in the hiring of new staff.
- Assure the prompt resolution of all client complaints.
- Assure prompt and complete investigation for all out-of-specification results or unusual occurrences.
- Coordinate activities of the team Leaders to provide good use of resources and communication throughout the department.
- Provide staff members with a periodic review of their work, outlining strengths, weaknesses, and setting goals.
- Supervises others: Yes
- Has hiring and terminating responsibilities: No
- Number of employees directly reporting to this job: __2 Supervisory Employees, _10_ Non-Supervisory Employees
- Is responsible for coordinating with other Assistant Managers to ensure continuity of Microbiology services
- Bachelors degree in Science AND
- Minimum 4 years of experience (provide further detail as necessary)
- OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Language Skills: English
- Mathematical Skills: Intermediate preferred
- Reasoning Skills/Abilities: Intermediate required
- Computer Skills: Proficiency with standard office computer equipment
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
o perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.