Schedule: 10:00 pm-6:30 am
Know that there are people behind the data. Patients and Physicians rely on our diagnostic testing, information and services to help them make better healthcare decisions. These are often serious decisions with far reaching consequences, and require sensitivity, tact and a clear dedication to service. It’s about providing clarity and hope.
As a Specimen Processor you will work for the world leader in the industry, with a career where you can expand your skills and knowledge. You’ll have a role where you can act with professionalism, you can inspire colleagues, and you can care about the work we do and the people we serve.
At Quest, our Specimen Processors play an essential role in our success and provide a critical service responding to the often pressured requirements of accurate diagnoses. As a career, it offers a unique opportunity to learn and develop a profession offering long-term stability and development. You can also earn a competitive salary and great overtime, while growing your own career.
Supervise functions within Specimen Processing department, which may include one or more of the following: Specimen Processing, Test in Question/Problem Resolution, Imaging/Microfilming. Responsible for overseeing the following activities, daily operations of Specimen Processing, all compliance training, training of personnel, monitoring Quality of the department(s), monitor and improve productivity. Ensure maintenance of a safe, ergonomically sound, professional environment. Know and understand all functions of the department. Typical direct reports 20-25.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for daily operations of department which may include responsibility for Imaging/Microfilming, Test In Question and some Problem Resolution Client Service functions
• Oversees safety, ergonomics, maintenance, and cleanliness of department (including upgrades, repairs, etc.)
• Develops and implements Standard Operating Procedures for Specimen Processing in accordance with Quest Diagnostics guidelines
• Reviews Specimen Processing Standard Operating Procedure Manual on a biannual basis and ensures departmental compliance. Identifies need for revisions and/or additional SOP’s as indicated
• Where applicable, ensures all Federal, State & local licensure requirements are met, working with the QA and Medical Director’s offices
• Ensures all documentation is complete and reviewed as required for internal and external inspection/audit
• Ensures all employees meet Compliance Guidelines and Competency Testing. Ensures all employees receive adequate training and meet annual competency requirements
• Monitors incoming workflow from Logistics and make necessary changes to ensure adequate supply of specimens to technical departments
• May supervise packing and shipping of specimens to other laboratories, in accordance with IATA regulations
• Ensures integrity of specimens sent to other facilities meet the criteria necessary to provide accurate and timely results
• Monitors special handling of Jeopardized Clients, Hospital Clients and Vital Specimens to ensure there are no mishandled specimen(s)/patient requisitions
• Demonstrates leadership skills in employee relations, scheduling, new employee onboarding, team meetings, coaching, performance management
• Establishes and motivates a participative work environment that actively encourages and supports employee involvement.
• Disseminates all essential information in a timely manner, using various forms of communication to all departmental staff.
• May track/enter time/attendance of employees
• Prepares month-end reports
• Investigates/resolves and responds in a timely manner to internal and external customer issues appropriately and effectively
• Prepares schedules for department employees, maintains adequate coverage for department
• Oversees and ensure adequate supply inventory for department
• Ensures continuous process improvement and/or standardization initiatives are implemented in accordance with established deadlines
• Participates in the interview, selection and hiring of new employees
• Responsible for coaching, development, supervision and succession planning of staff
• Monitors on-going performance of employees; provides corrective action and counseling as required. Prepares and administers annual performance reviews
• Assists in ensuring fiscal responsibilities of the department are met which includes implementation of cost containment programs, management of overtime, participation in standardization initiatives and needs assessment for capital expenditures
• Participates on Quest Management System (QMS) and Process Improvement Teams, or other initiatives to meet business objectives
• Organizes and lead projects both within the work group and with cross-functional groups
• Meet all deadlines assigned by manager
• Effectively works with Technical departments to resolve problems. Must have the interpersonal skills to gain cooperation with other departments, and foster continuous improvement
• Excellent organization, communication, and interpersonal skills; is able to manage concerns of clients, technical departments and employees in a professional manner
• All other duties as assigned
20-25 direct reports – typically non-exempt individual contributors ranging in grades 25-30
• AA degree or a combination of education and experience
• 5 years experience in a laboratory; Medical or production background preferred ; internal candidates require minimum of two years in Group Leader/related role
• Previous people leadership experience preferred
• PC skills, MS Office applications
Physical and Mental Requirements:
• Works in a biohazard environment, practicing good safety habits
• Handles multiple tasks and works in a production environment
• Must have the mental alertness and high energy required to appropriately perform job.
• Excellent leadership, organization, communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to interact effectively with internal and external customers.
• Monitor and provide safe work environment, prepare incident reports and implement preventative measures
• Act in a professional manner at all times.
• Must be able to adjust schedule to meet business requirements, which may include extended hours.
• Knowledge of systems tools such as COGNOS, PeopleSoft, IntelliQuest, Kronos