Supv Specimen Processing- Las Vegas, Nevada - Tuesday-Saturday 12am-8:30am; rotational weekends.
Supervise functions within Specimen Processing department, which may include one or more of the following: Specimen Processing, Test in Question/Problem Resolution, Imaging/Microfilming. Responsible for overseeing the following activities, daily operations of Specimen Processing, all compliance training, training of personnel, monitoring Quality of the department(s), monitor and improve productivity. Ensure maintenance of a safe, ergonomically sound, professional environment. Know and understand all functions of the department. Typical direct reports 20-25.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for daily operations of department which may include responsibility for Imaging/Microfilming, Test In Question and some Problem Resolution Client Service functions
• Oversees safety, ergonomics, maintenance, and cleanliness of department (including upgrades, repairs, etc.)
• Develops and implements Standard Operating Procedures for Specimen Processing in accordance with Quest Diagnostics guidelines
• Reviews Specimen Processing Standard Operating Procedure Manual on a biannual basis and ensures departmental compliance. Identifies need for revisions and/or additional SOP’s as indicated
• Where applicable, ensures all Federal, State & local licensure requirements are met, working with the QA and Medical Director’s offices
• Ensures all documentation is complete and reviewed as required for internal and external inspection/audit
• Ensures all employees meet Compliance Guidelines and Competency Testing. Ensures all employees receive adequate training and meet annual competency requirements
• Monitors incoming workflow from Logistics and make necessary changes to ensure adequate supply of specimens to technical departments
• May supervise packing and shipping of specimens to other laboratories, in accordance with IATA regulations
• Ensures integrity of specimens sent to other facilities meet the criteria necessary to provide accurate and timely results
• Monitors special handling of Jeopardized Clients, Hospital Clients and Vital Specimens to ensure there are no mishandled specimen(s)/patient requisitions
• Demonstrates leadership skills in employee relations, scheduling, new employee onboarding, team meetings, coaching, performance management
• Establishes and motivates a participative work environment that actively encourages and supports employee involvement.
• Disseminates all essential information in a timely manner, using various forms of communication to all departmental staff.
• May track/enter time/attendance of employees
• Prepares month-end reports
• Investigates/resolves and responds in a timely manner to internal and external customer issues appropriately and effectively
• Prepares schedules for department employees, maintains adequate coverage for department
• Oversees and ensure adequate supply inventory for department
• Ensures continuous process improvement and/or standardization initiatives are implemented in accordance with established deadlines
• Participates in the interview, selection and hiring of new employees
• Responsible for coaching, development, supervision and succession planning of staff
• Monitors on-going performance of employees; provides corrective action and counseling as required. Prepares and administers annual performance reviews
• Assists in ensuring fiscal responsibilities of the department are met which includes implementation of cost containment programs, management of overtime, participation in standardization initiatives and needs assessment for capital expenditures
• Participates on Quest Management System (QMS) and Process Improvement Teams, or other initiatives to meet business objectives
• Organizes and lead projects both within the work group and with cross-functional groups
• Meet all deadlines assigned by manager
• Effectively works with Technical departments to resolve problems. Must have the interpersonal skills to gain cooperation with other departments, and foster continuous improvement
• Excellent organization, communication, and interpersonal skills; is able to manage concerns of clients, technical departments and employees in a professional manner
• All other duties as assigned
20-25 direct reports – typically non-exempt individual contributors ranging in grades 25-30
• AA degree or a combination of education and experience
• 5 years experience in a laboratory; Medical or production background preferred ; internal candidates require minimum of two years in Group Leader/related role
• Previous people leadership experience preferred
• PC skills, MS Office applications
Physical and Mental Requirements:
• Works in a biohazard environment, practicing good safety habits
• Handles multiple tasks and works in a production environment
• Must have the mental alertness and high energy required to appropriately perform job.
• Excellent leadership, organization, communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to interact effectively with internal and external customers.
• Monitor and provide safe work environment, prepare incident reports and implement preventative measures
• Act in a professional manner at all times.
• Must be able to adjust schedule to meet business requirements, which may include extended hours.
• Knowledge of systems tools such as COGNOS, PeopleSoft, IntelliQuest, Kronos