PenFed Realty is hiring a Systems Administrator in Alexandria, Virginia. The candidate will be an ambitious out of box thinker interested in a company with enormous growth potential and can work in a fast-paced sales environment. Our ideal candidate will be someone who enjoys taking on responsbilitiy and working with a small, tight knit group of people. Someone who is used to wearing many hats, isn’t put off by crawling under a desk, and is always looking for the newest technology to help streamline and create a world-class customer experience.
Under minimal supervision of PenFed Realty IT Director monitors, installs, configures, troubleshoots, and maintains workstation, server, telecommunications and network systems, printers, and peripherals for PenFed affiliated companies and assigned customers across the Local Area Network and Wide Area Network.
Work involves assisting in the design and development of local area networks; providing router and othe network equipment maintenance, monitoring; and resolving problems associated with this equipment and the network.
As needed, this position supplements our Help Desk staff by responding to customer inquiries.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job duties and the position will perform other duties as assigned.
- Provides high level technical support to computer users in a variety of application software packages.
- Troubleshoots network, telecommunications and server problems independently and with guidance from senior network, telecommunications and server technical staff.
- Performs installations, upgrades and troubleshooting of network, workstation, server and phone system hardware and software.
- Performs installation and configuration of various LAN devices (e.g., routers, switches, printers, scanners, wireless access points).
- Provides technical support for distributed enterprise systems: emphasis on network management includes areas such as router and switch capacity and performance, license management, and security design.
- Discusses technical requirements with vendors and provides technical specifications
- Assist in the preparation of network systems specifications and technical documentation for network systems in coordination with business units and vendors.
- Coordinates support and assist users in the use of a variety of hardware devices and software packages including the implementation of new devices and software.
- Troubleshoots workstation problems directly for the employees and agents.
- Ensures workstation configurations conform to corporate specifications and policies.
- Keeps abreast of current technology; researches developments in network hardware and software products as they may apply to the enterprise.
- Analyzes, designs, tests, installs, documents, and maintains computer systems which have a moderate to high degree of complexity
- Develops reports, maintains and establishes asset inventories
- Provides timely and accurate updates to company’s problem management reporting systems.
- Coordinates with other PenFed IT departments, such as Integration Services, Network Services, Telecom, and Information Protection, to ensure their workstation and network requirements are met.
Education and Experience
Equivalent combination of education and experience is considered.
- Bachelor’s degree and 2 years experience supporting end-users in a networking environment, or a combination of education and work experience that provides the necessary skills to perform the essential job functions.
- Excellent customer relations and verbal and written communication skills required.
- Strong general knowledge of Microsoft Windows 8 and 10, and Windows 2016 Server and later operating systems required. Some Mac OS experience is a plus. Some Office 365, Mobilitiy, Azure AD and Intune experience is a plus.
- Requires solid working knowledge of personal computer software and hardware, particularly Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Office product suite. Knowledge of common personal computer peripherals (printers, print-servers, modems).
- Strong knowledge of installation, troubleshooting and maintenance of Windows servers required. Some Linux preferred.
- Solid understanding of network technologies, Ethernet, Gig-E, Fast Ethernet, Network Security Design, Firewall, Route filtering, wireless access points, DNS, VPN, Network Architecture, Database and OS Security, Anti-Virus, Active Directory, routing/switching protocols/technology, and an in depth knowledge of TCP/IP
- The ability to manage a physical infrastructure - including cable termination, patching and labeling – is required. Requires running, terminating, and troubleshooting cable.
- Must be able to work independently with minimum supervision. Requires good organizational skills, strong research skills, and problem-solving skills.
- Requires demonstrated ability to manage rapidly changing priorities, and the ability to successfully plan and coordinate projects across geographic areas and offices.
- Requires ability to work after-hours and being “on-call” to implement workstation solutions in order to limit impact/exposure to customers.
- Requires traveling/driving to customer locations and occasional overnight travel. Reliable transportation is required.
- Requires ability to use personal computer, diagnostic equipment, and general office equipment.
___ Est. Direct Staff / ___ Est. Full Staff
This position will not directly supervise employees.
Licenses and Certifications
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to an indoor office setting with moderate noise. Physical requirements may also include lifting ceiling tiles, climbing ladders, lifting, pulling and squatting.
*Most roles require working in an office setting with moderate noise and the ability to lift 25 pounds.*
0-25% throughout the Washington, Maryland and Northern Virginia areas using personal vehicle with mileage reimbursement.
About Us – PFR
Berkshire Hathaway PenFed Realty, LLC is a full-service real estate brokerage firm with over 60 offices and 1,700 world-class sales professionals, offering complete service coverage in Virginia, Maryland, District of Columbia, Delaware, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Florida, Tennessee, Kansas and Texas markets. Founded in 2006, we are a wholly owned subsidiary of one of the country’s largest and most financially stable credit unions, PenFed. We are also one of the largest franchisees within the Berkshire Hathaway Home Services network. The Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices network stands among only a few organizations entrusted to use the storied Berkshire Hathaway name, a name representing strength, integrity, trust and universal respect. PenFed’s products, pricing, and financial stability coupled with the Berkshire Hathaway brand creates a powerful combination for growth within the residential real estate arena. With growth of over 900% in the past 5 years, PenFed Realty is recognized as one of the fastest growing real estate brokerage firms in the country.
Our mission is to recruit, retain, and support the most knowledgeable real estate agents in the industry so that we may ensure a smooth and hassle free home buying experience.
We provide our employees with a lucrative benefits package including robust medical, dental and vision plan options, plenty of paid time off, 401k with employer match and more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PenFed management will maintain and observe personnel policies which will not discriminate or permit harassment or retaliation against a person because of race, color, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, military or veteran status or obligation, the presence of a physical and/or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, and all statuses protected by applicable state or local law in all recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, overtime, position classifications, work assignments, facilities, promotions, transfers, employee treatment, and in all other terms and conditions of employment. PenFed will also prohibit retaliation against individuals for raising a complaint of discrimination or harassment or participating in an investigation of same.
PenFed will also reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability so that they can apply for a job or perform the essential functions of a job unless doing so causes a direct threat to these individuals or others in the workplace and the threat cannot be eliminated by reasonable accommodation or if the accommodation creates an undue hardship to PenFed. Contact human resources (HR) with any questions or requests for accommodation at 571-495-7921.