American Tower is one of the largest Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT) in the world by market cap. The Tax Compliance team is responsible for all areas of domestic tax compliance and reporting, including but not limited to federal and state tax returns, extensions, estimates, projections, and maintenance/conversion of tax fixed assets. The Manager, Tax Compliance will be an integral part of the Tax Compliance team with respect to all monthly, quarterly, and annual deliverables and will be assigned various special projects. The Manager, Tax Compliance will have frequent interactions with other members of the tax, finance, accounting, and legal departments and therefore must have effective interpersonal communication skills, be able to solve problems, and follow through on resolving issues and completing deliverables.
- Lead the review and/or preparation of all federal, state and local tax income and franchise returns, estimates, and extensions.
- Review taxable income forecasts and projections of various entities within American Tower’s structure.
- Review domestic tax fixed asset depreciation schedules from depreciation system, comparison analysis and identification of book/tax basis differences.
- Reconcile the ending balance sheet related to domestic income taxes.
- Ensure compliance with SOX 404 internal controls related to domestic activity.
- Review global tax fixed asset ledgers with respect to conversion of ledgers into the depreciation system.
- Assets with REIT testing.
- Assist with best practices and automation initiatives.
- Perform tax research and draft memorandums on various federal and state tax issues.
- Assist with domestic tax audits and notices.
- Responsible for various special projects related to items such as Section 382, state NOL carryovers and modeling of liabilities due to acquisition activity.
- Assist with quarter-end and year-end domestic tax provision.
- Maintain tax software for domestic compliance and provision.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Detailed oriented, able to multitask and meet deadlines.
- Self-motivated, able to work in a team and independently.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work with functional groups and different level of employees.
- Strong follow-up skills; ability to organize applicable department timelines and follow up with internal and external customer needs.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office suite.
- Excellent references.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- 8-12 years of corporate tax experience
- MST or LLM preferred
- CPA preferred
- Experience with online tax research tools such as Bureau of National Affairs ("BNA") preferred
Approximately 100% performed in climate-controlled internal office environment working under normal office conditions. Approximately 5% travel may be required in support of the position's responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, use hands and fingers to feel and handle, reach with arms and hands, talk and hear. While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel and crouch, lift weight or exert a force up to a maximum of 25 pounds.