Are you looking to take your career from good to great? As an employee of PenFed, every day is an opportunity to thrive, and be part of a team working to ensure our organization is providing world class service to our members, employees, and our communities. We exist to help our members realize their full potential, educate and encourage their dreams, and make every effort to follow our mission and help our members “do better.” Joining PenFed is more than being an employee; it’s about being a part of the PenFed family.
PenFed is hiring a Team Lead, Indirect Underwriting at one of the following locations: Alexandria, Virginia or Rockville, Maryland The primary purpose of this job is to oversee the daily operation of assigned loan/call queues and the daily operations of assigned Indirect Lending Operations Underwriting Staff.
*Work schedule: Every other Saturday*
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job duties and the position will perform other duties as assigned.
- Supervise a team of indirect lending underwriters on a daily basis to include establishing goals, priorities, and expected performance levels.
- Administer stated objectives, goals and performance standards for Underwriters on assigned team.
- Oversee, mentor, train and coach all staff to ensure desired performance objectives are achieved.
- Provide updates to the Director regarding hiring staff and managing job performance on a regular basis, including probationary and midyear/year end evaluations as well as the administration of disciplinary actions.
- Prepare and distribute various production & KPI reports.
- Research and resolve complex problems within delegated authority, including but not limited to loan boarding errors, dealer/customer escalations, exception requests, and referring consumer loan applications to the Loan Review Committee as appropriate.
- Assist in preparing manager responses on applicable findings to the Lending Business Controls department.
- Assist in managing and holding accountable various partners/vendors to their prescribed KPIs.
- Assist in prepare and implement strategic initiatives to improvement the overall department performance and grow the business.
- Monitor real time UW decision queue as well as the call queue for optimal customer service levels.
- Maintain a detailed knowledge of the job responsibilities of an Indirect Underwriter; perform those duties and support the team as needed throughout the day.
- Review and approves correspondence related to consumer loan applications returned by Executive Correspondence/Loan Review Committee.
- Provide training and guidance to peers, direct reports, Operations, and other PenFed staff related to consumer underwriting & processing practices.
- Assume the duties and responsibility of the Director when the Director is unavailable.
- Maintain industry knowledge around emerging best practices and trends in the indirect underwriting field.
- Discover opportunities to recommend changes that will streamline & optimize processes, improve efficiency and grow the business.
Equivalent combination of education and experience is considered.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field preferred.
- Minimum of four (4) years of experience in financial services, or, two (2) years’ experience supervising/managing employees, is required.
- Minimum of four (4) years of Underwriter experience is required.
- Experience coaching, leading, and developing a team is required.
- Knowledge of industry best practices around lending, loan processing & underwriting.
- This position will supervise employees.
Licenses and Certifications
- No licenses or certification required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to an indoor office setting with moderate noise.
*Most roles require working in an office setting with moderate noise and the ability to lift 25 pounds.*
Limited travel to various worksites/vendors is required.
Special Message Regarding COVID 19
PenFed is continuing to hire and train exceptional individuals to help us serve our 2 million members both here and around the world. In light of the current situation with novel coronavirus (COVID-19), we have modified our hiring, onboarding, training, and deployment protocols in order to comply with current local and state guidance around social distancing.
Established in 1935, PenFed today is one of the country’s strongest and most stable financial institutions with over 2 million members and over $26 billion in assets. We serve members in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as in Guam, Puerto Rico and Okinawa. We are federally insured by NCUA and we are an Equal Housing Lender. We are available to members worldwide, via the web, seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day.
We provide our employees with a lucrative benefits package including robust medical, dental and vision plan options, plenty of paid time off, 401k with employer match, on-site fitness facilities at our larger locations, and more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PenFed management will maintain and observe personnel policies which will not discriminate or permit harassment or retaliation against a person because of race, color, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, military or veteran status or obligation, the presence of a physical and/or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, and all statuses protected by applicable state or local law in all recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, overtime, position classifications, work assignments, facilities, promotions, transfers, employee treatment, and in all other terms and conditions of employment. PenFed will also prohibit retaliation against individuals for raising a complaint of discrimination or harassment or participating in an investigation of same.
PenFed will also reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability so that they can apply for a job or perform the essential functions of a job unless doing so causes a direct threat to these individuals or others in the workplace and the threat cannot be eliminated by reasonable accommodation or if the accommodation creates an undue hardship to PenFed. Contact human resources (HR) with any questions or requests for accommodation at 240-224-4256.