Technician Medical II - Miramar, FL (Rotational Saturday/Weekends)
Responsible for performing routine and non-routine activities pertaining to laboratory testing and the reporting of results. Performs moderately difficult to complex tasks under the guidance of Medical Technologists and Laboratory Supervisor. Performs assigned analytical testing procedures in an accurate, precise, and timely manner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Follow the laboratory's procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of patient test result;
- Maintain records that demonstrate that proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens;
- Analyze specimens using approved testing procedures (see department SOPs).
- May perform some high complexity testing with specific on-site training provided
- Review and release test results.
- Follow CLIA, HIPAA, OSHA, and safety guidelines as described in their respective guidelines.
- Adhere to the laboratory's quality control policies, document all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and all maintenance performed;
- Follow the laboratory's established policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the laboratory's established acceptable levels of performance.
- Identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results, correct the problems encountered or immediately notify the senior technologist or supervisor.
- Document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory's established performance specifications.
- Follow department’s procedure in reporting critical results to clients.
- If applicable, answer questions from customers or other lab personnel.
- Maintain complete records of all testing performed on-site.
- Maintain general appearance of the department.
- Make sure reagents/test kits have received dates, expiration dates, and if applicable opened dates.
- Review/train on new procedures.
- Attend monthly department and any additional training/educational meetings.
- Participate in all applicable safety training sessions.
- Know the location and contents of the safety manual.
- Know the location/use of all applicable safety equipment.
- Perform other duties as directed by supervisor.
This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities, but rather a general description of the work performed by this position.
*Denotes essential functions of the job for purposes of the Americans with Disabilities Act only
- BS in Medical Technology; or BS/BA in Chemistry or Biology, or
- Associates degree in a Laboratory Science or Medical Technology, or
- Previously qualified as a Technologist under 42 CFR 493.1433 published in March 14, 1990.
- 3 -6 years Clinical experience (high complexity testing) preferred.
- Minimum of three years of clinical laboratory experience in highly complex testing for those with BS/BA in Chemistry or Biology.
- Must have the ability to establish work priorities and handle several procedures simultaneously.
- Must interact with other departments.
- Contact with clients may be required, good customer service skills important.
- Must protect patient confidentiality at all times.