Schedule: Monday-Friday 8am-5:00pm
Look for more than answers. Patients and Physicians rely on our diagnostic testing, information and services to help them make better healthcare decisions. These are often serious decisions with far reaching consequences, and require sensitivity, tact and a clear dedication to service. It’s about providing clarity and hope.
As a Medical Technologist/Clinical Lab Scientist you will work for the world leader in the industry, with a career where you can expand your skills and knowledge. You’ll have a role where you can act with professionalism, you can inspire colleagues, and you can care about the work we do and the people we serve.
At Quest, Medical Technologist/Clinical Lab Scientist play an essential role in our success and in the services we provide. As a career, we offer a unique opportunity to develop your career with the #1 Diagnostic Lab in the US. We are tech driven, and we’re creating the lab of the future – an environment where you can deliver cutting edge diagnostics and help us drive new discoveries and breakthroughs.
The Senior Medical Technologist is proficient in all principle duties of a Medical Technologist I and II. This Subject Matter Expert (SME) is responsible for complex laboratory testing and has broad decision-making authority and independence. The Senior Med Tech is required to provide technical direction to staff regarding complex and non-routine testing and is a source of contact of inquiries from clients or sales representatives. The Senior is responsible for investigating and resolving analytical testing problems and recommending course of action. The Senior is responsible for training and development of staff under the direction of the Supervisor in accordance to the appropriate federal, state and local guidelines.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Demonstrates all characteristics of Med Tech I and II
• Applies evidence based criteria to correlate and interpret laboratory testing data
• Performs clinical validation to optimize laboratory testing as directed
• Assumes role of technical subject matter expert by demonstrating problem solving and troubleshooting instrumentation and assays
• Serve as a technical resource for the unit by investigating and resolving analytical testing problems, recommending a course of action in instances identified as beyond acceptable limits, and responding to non-routine/complex inquiries and/or requests from clients and sales representatives.
• Assumes role of technical consultant and provides technical direction to team members regarding all matters of testing
• Assumes trainer and SME role in education; designs and implements training material. Evaluates technical competencies of team and provides recommendations for continuing education
• Proficient in understanding and interpreting trends and variables when implementing QC theory and policies
• Review requests for validity checks and recommend an appropriate course of action taking into account the limitations of specimen requirements and the effects of time and the quality of additional and/or repeat testing.
• Expedites the flow of work to maximize productive capacity by evaluating production systems and recommending enhancements and coordinating the resolution of production problems/issues involving other laboratory departments.
• Review unit activities to ensure compliance with departmental policies and federal, state, and local regulations.
• Competent in most areas within the department
• Participates on special project as assigned
• Performs other duties as directed by Supervisor
**Qualifications may vary based on individual state requirements/guidelines
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this job. This is not an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that an incumbent may be expected to perform.
Education Preferred: Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology, Biology or Chemistry or an Associates degree in a Laboratory Science or Medical Laboratory Technology or have previously qualified as a Technologist under 42 CFR 493. 1433 published in March 14,1990. If HEW certified, eight years or more in same department. Associates hired after the standardization date, must have a Bachelor of Science/Arts degree.
Foreign educated candidates must provide a detailed credential evaluation from IERF (International Education Research Foundation). United States educated candidates must provide a detailed original transcript.
Work Experience: Minimum of five to seven years clinical experience with two years in present department.
Internal applicants must be in good standing and rated an Achieves or better during their annual performance appraisal within the last two years
Physical and Mental: Indicate any physical or mental demands that must be met to successfully perform the principal responsibilities of the position (e.g., routinely lifts 25 pounds, sitting or standing for prolong periods of time)
• Must demonstrate effective communication and collaboration skills within department as well as with other functions within the company and third parties (ie.clients)
• Must have the ability to establish work priorities for self and others and handle several procedures simultaneously including troubleshooting instruments and other problems/issues.
• Ability to schedule and manage resources to meet department goals.
• Must protect patient confidentiality at all times.