Trainee Histotech / Grossing- West Hills, California - M-F
Look for more than answers. Patients and Physicians rely on our diagnostic testing, information and services to help them make better healthcare decisions. These are often serious decisions with far reaching consequences, and require sensitivity, tact and a clear dedication to service. It’s about providing clarity and hope.
As a Lab Technician you will work for the world leader in the industry, with a career where you can expand your skills and knowledge. You’ll have a role where you can act with professionalism, you can inspire colleagues, and you can care about the work we do and the people we serve.
At Quest, Lab Technicians play an essential role in our success and in the services we provide. As a career, we offer a unique opportunity to develop your career with the #1 Diagnostic Lab in the US. We are tech driven, and we’re creating the lab of the future – an environment where you can deliver cutting edge diagnostics and help us drive new discoveries and breakthroughs.
1. Under general supervision and according to policies and procedures, perform routine and limited non-routine activities involved in the preparation of slides, for microscopic evaluation by pathologist(s).
2. Capable of performing all duties/responsibilities of a Histology Lab Assistant.
3. For Grossing Personnel Trainees - Under the direct supervision of a Pathologist, Pathologist Assistant or Grossing Technician:
• Describe gross anatomic features of routine, uncomplicated surgical specimens, ensuring that all lesions, markings and sutures are mentioned.
• Record measurements, weight, volume and any abnormal findings as applicable.
• Dissect surgical specimens and prepare tissues for histologic processing.
4. Escalates non-routine, complicated surgical specimens to a Grossing Technician or Pathologist Assistant.
5. For Histotechnician Trainees - Under the direct supervision of a Histotechnician or Histotechnologist:
• Ensure proper tissue processing.
• Performs limited embedding and microtomy.
• Prepare slides for routine Hematoxylin and Eosin staining.
• Perform coverslipping of stained slides either manually or automated.
• Perform limited special stains.
6. Ensure all corporate safety, quality control and quality assurance standards are met.
7. Ensure compliance with all local, federal, CLIA and CAP regulations.
8. Maintain a clean and well-organized work area.
9. Other duties, as assigned by supervisor.
1. A.S. or B.S. degree or equivalent training and experience
2. If training for grossing, meets all requirements as outlined in corporate Minimum Qualifications for Personnel Performing Tissue Gross Examinations SOP and 1988 CLIA CFR 493.1489.
3. 3 months – 1 year Histology and/or surgical gross experience preferred
4. If training for Histology, meets all requirements as outlined in corporate Minimum Qualifications for Histotechnician SOP.
5. Good clerical, organizational and communication skills.
6. Basic knowledge of operating non-complex instrumentation.