**Tutors can be located in any US location - this is a remote position
University Instructors is seeking certified teachers and non-certified experienced tutors to work as virtual English and math instructors to support our middle school students with virtual learning. The tutor will be responsible for managing and responding to multiple chat sessions providing exceptional instruction, student mentorship and subject matter expertise. We are seeking teachers and tutors who are highly proficient and experienced in middle school math or English, grades 6-8. Middle school math does not exceed Algebra 2.
- Familiarity with virtual learning platforms and course content, structure, style within elementary English and Math (Tutors will receive training on the virtual platform).
- Contact parents about potential services for their students and document results of that communication.
- Engage with students in a friendly and professional manner requesting information about the course, activity, and/or specific content so they can quickly serve the student’s needs.
- Respond to student questions in a positive, supportive manner, giving as detailed explanations as possible.
- Guide the student through content and/or process without answering the question for them.
- Be vigilant to signs that the student is asking for help on assessment (quizzes and test) questions and setting the expectation with students that tutors will not confirm answers but can help clarify what the assessment questions is asking, provide parallel problems, or guide the student back to course content.
- Redirect students to appropriate to their teacher (when applicable) for questions relating to their specific course.
- Seek guidance from the chat advisors/program manager by escalating content questions and sharing chat transcripts for evaluation and feedback.
- Other duties as assigned
Job Qualifications and Requirements:
- Adheres to the professional teaching obligations and be a subject matter expert.
- Comfortable contacting parents about student needs and services.
- Fosters a positive and motivating environment for students.
- Provide student feedback in a manner that supports learning.
- Actively listens and delivers information in a clear, compelling, and concise manner.
- Attention to detail when typing with minimal spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors.
- Ability to multitask between multiple windows, students, and courses.
- Regular and predictable attendance.
October 2020 (Possibility for extension)
35+ Hours Per Week
Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays
7:00 A.M.-8:00 A.M.-Optional
3:30 P.M.-7:30 P.M. or 4:00 P.M.-8:00 P.M.-Required
9:00 A.M.-2:30 P.M. or 2:30 P.M.-8:00 P.M. or 4:00 P.M.-8:00 P.M.-Required
Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree
- Current teaching license preferred but not required
- Minimum of two years of experience tutoring and/or teaching in English and mathematics
- Strong technical expertise. Must be familiar with using a computer and have experience with chat rooms