The purpose of Utilities Mechanic is to maintain, diagnose, repair, rebuild, adjust, perform preventive maintenance and install equipment whitin and around the facility so as to keep the production operational and have zero loss of production. This individual will perform the duties of a Utilties Mechanic and assist other maintenance personnel on his/her shift and will be responsible for all necessary paperwork and documentation as they relate to the job.Core ResponsibilitiesKey responsibilities include:
- Strong knowledge of basic mechanics
- Knowledge of basic HVAC
- Knowledge of ammonia refrigeration
- Strong knowledge of drive components
- Knowledge of selecting and maintaining bearings
- Knowledge the operation of pumps
- Knowledge of developing hydraulic troubleshooting skills
- Knowledge of basic pneumatics
- Knowledge of developing pneumatic troubleshooting skills
- Install and replace bearing and shaft seals
- Adhere to all safety requirements including PPE, preventing and reporting unsafe acts and conditions, Lock out-Tag out procedures and Process Safety Management related items
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.QualificationsTo perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Strong reading, math, writing, analytical skills required and high school diploma or GED equivalent
- Must be able to work weekends as needed
- Perform assigned tasks efficiently with minimum supervision
- Must be able to pass a pulmonary function test
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to perform studies on the production floor, work in temperatures ranging from -10 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit and in constant noise, exposure to fumes, dust, mechanical, electrical and safety hazards.
- Noise level in the work environment is moderate but can be loud if in the plant areas.
- Must be able to work in -40 to degree temperatures
- Must be able to work in confined spaces
- Must not be able to work at tall heights
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits