The Vice President R&D, TA works together with the Vice President Commercial, TA to develop and oversee execution of a comprehensive TA Strategy for the respective TA. A key responsibility of the joint leaders is to build and maintain a fully integrated and aligned TA team and to work with functional heads to ensure execution of the TA portfolio is aligned with the TA priorities. The VP R&D TA role is also responsible for leading the core R&D TA team to develop and implement R&D strategies that are aligned with the TA priorities.
Main Responsibilities and Accountabilities (Joint responsibilities with Commercial TA Lead)
1. Provide inspirational leadership to matrixed reports that reflects the CSL Leadership capabilities and company values.
2. Lead the TA team to develop and continually evolve a fully integrated TA Strategy by driving a robust innovative portfolio of both new products and LCM opportunities. Present
recommended TA Strategy, priorities and plans to Executive management and the Board.
3. Set the end-to-end portfolio strategy and prioritization for the TA ensuring the right mix of high and low risk, & short and long-term initiatives to fuel business outcomes. Manage risk/opportunities/trade-offs within the TA portfolio and provide necessary background for
decisions across the full portfolio.
4. Drive the development of the long-term forecasting model for the TA and provide inputs
into the capacity-planning model.
5. Provide input into functional planning, and work with Functional Heads to ensure resource
allocation & project execution is aligned with TA portfolio priorities.
6. Set the BD strategy for the TA and provide first level evaluation of NPOs and recommend
progress to due diligence.
7. Ensure the TA “market shaping” strategy & decision making is informed by robust commercial insights and scientific & medical validity. Actively involve and incorporate the voice of patients, physicians and payers across all stages of development to provide innovative therapies that address real unmet needs. Critically evaluate all opportunities and
projects focusing on market access and the competitive environment and regularly review.
8. Approve all TPPs and product strategy plans (PSPs), ensuring alignment with strategy and ability to deliver. Oversee development of integrated project plans for both R&D projects and Commercial activities.
Liaise with other TA’s for cross–TA best practice development and implementation.
9. Decision Making Authority (Not decision making body for Project Go/No Go)
- Guidance to CPTs to improve project plans, solve challenges and address opportunities
- Rapid resolution of project issues and risks (within scope, timelines and budget)
- Interdependencies of projects to facilitate adequate resource/timeline planning and/or share lessons learned
- Readiness for Project Go/No Go (for PRC & PPC endorsement)
- Prepare and coach teams for clear and effective governance presentations
10. Co-leads the therapeutic area leadership team (TALT).
11. Provides leadership to the core and extended R&D teams and partner functions to achieve excellence aligned with TA strategy, and agrees with functions the optimal development plans for TA products.
Works with Functional Heads to ensure that deep R&D TA expertise is developed. Leads the R&D TA team to develop and own integrated research, regulatory and clinical development strategies in alignment with TA strategy.
12. Provides functional leadership including budget and hiring for physicians assigned to the
13. Provides input to Functional Heads regarding matrixed R&D core and extended TA team members including:
- Setting of KPI’s
- Mid-year and end of year reviews
- Provides timely & constructive feedback to Functional Heads to ensure quality of work meets TA requirements.
Position Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
Experience and Education
Post graduate degree in science. MD or PhD preferred.
15+ years of pharmaceutical or biotech drug development experience Therapeutic area knowledge/expertise
Substantial experience in one of the core development areas including project delivery
Proven leadership experience and success with building & developing matrix global teams.
Ability to lead in a matrix environment, including interactions with multiple stakeholder groups and interfaces – for example with commercial, R&D functions, Strategy and BD, and across the enterprise
Proven ability to lead strategy development and to translate strategy into long - term execution plans.
Excellent executive presence, communication and change management skills and a Global perspective
Demonstration of CSL leader competencies:
Think Beyond: Explores how global events and/or industry trends may impact the business and makes appropriate adjustments. Takes timely functional or business unit action based on industry/external insights. Builds and maintains relationships and partnerships with industry and/or patient advocacy contacts to develop outside-in strategies. Seeks and acts on feedback from external sources (e.g., the community, investors, KOLs) to advance and align the business accordingly.
Build Bridges: Creates an environment where teams are expected to work
together in unity rather than “us vs. them” thinking; holds leaders accountable for working across the business. Builds organizational programs/structures that unify rather than divide even when it may be faster or easier to work within silos, enabling groups to be better than they were apart. Gives autonomy and empowers teams to work together to make meaningful decisions and actions
Unleash Outcomes: Creates an environment that allows employees to make decisions at the right level and take appropriate risks. Emphasizes the importance of taking initiative and acting quickly to capitalize on opportunities. Removes obstacles and helps teams access opportunities to advance the business.
Recognizes and rewards leaders whose decisions and appropriate risk taking move the business forward.
Ignite Agility: Creates an environment where people can openly and fearlessly offer new ideas, no matter how unorthodox. Involves others in the change process so they can embrace and be part of it. Adapts the organization’s structures, processes, systems, and culture as needed without getting stuck in old ways of working. Guides the organization to remain flexible in a changing, competitive environment by being a role model for adaptability.
Inspire the Future: Finds visible opportunities to display their passion for and commitment to CSL’s purpose, strategy, and values. Shares personal stories that excite and inspire people within the
broader organization. Articulates the ‘why’—including our promise to patients— behind CSL’s purpose, strategy, and values to foster engagement. Ensures that visionary messages are effectively cascaded throughout the organization, making CSL a place where people want to build their careers.
Cultivate Talent: Creates an environment that leverages internal talent from across regions and functions when filling roles and planning succession. Enables the development of future executives from across the globe (e.g., through broad organizational exposure and connections to external stakeholders). Finds systematic ways to develop our global talent pool to ensure readiness against future leadership requirements. Uses assignments, rotations, and targeted coaching to build both
leadership and technical capabilities.
We encourage you to make your well-being a priority. It’s important and so are you. Learn more about how we care at CSL.
About CSL Behring
CSL Behring is a global leader in developing and delivering high-quality medicines that treat people with rare and serious diseases. Our treatments offer promise for people in more than 100 countries living with conditions in the immunology, hematology, cardiovascular and metabolic, respiratory, and transplant therapeutic areas. Learn more about CSL Behring.
We want CSL to reflect the world around us
As a global organisation with employees in 35+ countries, CSL embraces diversity, equity and inclusion. Learn more about Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at CSL.
Do work that matters at CSL Behring!