- High school diploma or certificate of equivalency (GED) and completion of vocational training in vertical transportation equipment
- Four (4) years of technical experience performing maintenance and maintenance inspections on escalators and/or elevators.
- Qualified in the maintenance, repair, and inspection of escalator and/or elevator support equipment.
- Demonstrated experience working with vertical transportation equipment with solid working knowledge of ANSI code, various jurisdictional code requirements and the use of tools and calibration equipment
- Certified by the National Association of Elevator Safety Authorities (NAESA) through ANSl/ASME QEl-1 qualification test
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator's license issued from the jurisdiction of residence
Possession of a valid District of Columbia, Maryland, or Virginia motor vehicle operator's permit issued from the jurisdiction of residence, or the ability to acquire one on a timely basis.
Ability to complete satisfactorily the medical examination for this job.
Ability to perform strenuous physical tasks including frequent lifting of objects weighing up to 50 pounds and occasionally to 75 pounds. Ability to frequently climb stairs and ladders . Ability to bend, squat, and reach in small areas for extended periods of time. Ability to distinguish basic colors for component, wiring, and safety identification.
The employee must be able to perform the essential funct ions of this job either with or without reasonable accommodations.
Job Summary :
The Vertical Transportation Safety Inspector performs code required inspections on Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA)'s vertical transportation equipment. In addition, the incumbent performs investigation of accident that occurred on WMATA's vertical transportation equipment. The Vertical Transportation Safety Inspector further provides clear and concise reports of findings and recommendations to WMATA and the Authorities having jurisdiction.
- Performs investigations of accidents/incidents that occur in or on WMATA's vertical transportation equipment.
- Ensures compliance with jurisdictional rules and regulations and with all safety regulations to ensure system infrastructure and equipment are in a state of good repair.
- Witnesses code required periodic inspections, step/skirt indexing, and comb pull tests.
- Witnesses codes required, five-year full load tests on traction elevators and hydraulic elevators.
- Witnesses code required re-inspections ensuring that they confirm corrective actions have been completed.
- Provides clear concise reports of findings and deficiencies from code required inspections, accident/incident investigations and tests to the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) and WMATA.
- Witnesses codes required acceptance inspection on WMATA's vertical transportation equipment.
- Assists with the development of corrective actions to increase efficiency and effectiveness of the vertical transportation equipment. Also, ensures all system infrastructure and equipment are in a state of good repair and jurisdictional compliance
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.