At Cardinal Health, we're developing the innovative products and services that make healthcare safer and more productive. Join a growing, global company genuinely committed to making a difference for our customers and communities.
We seek an analytical, versatile, personable and action-oriented executive with excellent judgment and communications skills and equal measures of financial and process capabilities. The successful candidate will have proven leadership capabilities, influencing skills and be comfortable and confident in a matrixed and highly functionalized organization.
The Vice President, Corporate Development will report into the SVP, Strategy & Corporate Development and will be a key member of the Corporate Development (M&A) team. He/she will be responsible for leading/supporting all aspects of acquisition and divestiture transactions, including joint ventures, alliances and strategic investments, for the promotion of Cardinal Health’s growth objectives. He/she will be required to work with extensive cross-functional teams in the execution of his/her duties. He/she will provide M&A guidance and process leadership to business unit (BU) teams and have frequent contact with the CEO, CFO, Segment CEOs and CFOs, EVP of Strategy, Business Unit Presidents, Chief Accounting Officer, Treasurer and other members of Cardinal Health leadership. Specific responsibilities include:
Support Development of Robust Acquisition Pipeline:
- Team with Segment Business Development (BD) teams to understand and develop strategic direction and acquisition/alliance priorities.
- Develop and deploy robust acquisition pipeline process, leveraging strategic BU priorities. Work with BD teams to plan ongoing outreach program to develop relationships with desired targets.
- Work cross functionally to drive further definition of strategic direction and ownership/sponsorship.
- Proactively team with BD teams to define merger, acquisition, divestment, and alliance strategy consistent with defined corporate strategies.
- Identify and screen potential acquisition/partnering targets; support target identification activities and help to manage comprehensive Corporate acquisition pipeline.
- Work with Segment and BU deal sponsors to evaluate opportunities in light of strategy.
- Contact and pursue targeted companies.
Design and Conduct Thorough and Effective Acquisition and Sell-side Due Diligence:
- Screen, analyze and develop a strong business case for each acquisition, including quantitative support for annual operating plan and contemplated investment activities in target business.
- Support operational due diligence, including market strength, technology analyses, competitive position and operational effectiveness to validate growth and performance improvement initiatives.
- Work with financial due diligence team to ensure that work supports current and projected performance expectations and financial transaction modeling.
- Lead valuation modeling effort, and provide valuation expertise to sponsoring Segments and BUs.
- Ensure appropriateness of valuation model assumptions and inputs.
- Lead/support internal preparation process for divestitures and quarterback the sale process from start to finish.
Manage acquisition and divestiture due diligence, valuation analysis, pre-closing integration (or dis-integration) and closing processes:
- Work with BUs to provide comprehensive financial and strategic rationale to senior leaders.
- Manage the deal execution process on behalf of Corporate Development.
- Identify critical due diligence items that will impact modeling assumptions and inform integration planning.
- Work with Tax, Legal and Accounting to determine deal structure and lead deal negotiations.
- Ensure Cardinal Health M&A policies and procedures are complied with and provide periodic training on the same.
- Facilitate Corporate approval process for all deals.
- Lead/support communications with Corporate CEO, CFO, Segment CEOs and CFOs, Chief Accounting Officer, Treasurer, BU GMs and other members of Cardinal Health leadership. (Communications are expected to be proactive, timely, open and collaborative, with a “one team” mindset.).
Support the pre-closing and post-closing acquisition integration processes:
- Manage Corp. Dev. and extended team through the transaction process.
- Work with M&A Integration team to ensure a level and timing of integration consistent with business needs and budget, and transaction model.
- Ensure appropriate focus on and commitment to integration and seamless transition to Integration team.
- Support the development of the “dis-integration” plan for divestitures and the development and implementation of transition services agreements.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- BS in Business, Marketing, Finance, Engineering or related-field. Advanced degree (e.g., MS or MBA) from a leading university is preferred.
- Direct experience executing M&A transactions (both acquisitions and divestitures) from start to finish, utilizing strong financial capabilities and project management skills, including negotiation experience and ability to work effectively with functional experts from Legal, Tax, Accounting, etc. to appropriately structure complex transactions.
- Direct experience with M&A valuation techniques, modeling and project management, sufficient to lead, coach, and develop team of dedicated valuation and project management resources.
- Ability to travel 10-15%.
The successful candidate will be expected to be a high-energy, creative, and resourceful self-starter who demonstrates leadership skills and instincts. He/she is highly intelligent and enthusiastic with a commitment to excellence. In terms of personal competencies, the successful candidate must be a hands-on person who possesses the best combination of strategic thinking that also leads to actual results. He/she is a practical versus a theoretical thinker.
In addition, he/she should possess the following competencies:
- Leadership: A confident, mature person with the ability to connect and inspire others. A proven track record of leading projects and teams that successfully achieve milestones and complete deliverables.
- Results Oriented: A driver who possesses the ability to take actions and implement effective solutions in a timely manner.
- Problem Solver: A creative yet pragmatic problem solver. Methodical and hands-on, as well as detail-oriented.
- Analytical Thinking and Decision-Making: A “conceptualizer” of enterprise and market and technological trends/issues who can then integrate that thinking into business growth strategies. Decisive and logical at thoroughly evaluating issues. Excellent planning, execution, and project-management skills.
- Valuation Skills: Superior financial modeling and M&A valuation skills.
- Teamwork and Interpersonal Skills: A team player and builder, receptive to ideas from others. Shares information readily, openly and effectively and keeps team members and partners timely informed. Works effectively with others to identify and resolve issues. Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to interact successfully with all levels of management as well as a diverse work force.
- Ethics: Highest level of professional integrity and honesty as well as personal credibility.
Cardinal Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.