Tower Health is committed to transforming the way we engage our consumers by providing options for accessing services in a timely and convenient manner. Tower Health seeks a high-energy, strategic, visionary leader to direct our consumer access strategy. In doing so, this leader will support the organization in serving our mission and communities’ needs and differentiating Tower in our markets.
We are committed to offering market leading access and consumer experience for the communities we serve and seek a leader to help transform our organization’s approach to access.
The Vice President of Enterprise Access Services, in collaboration with physician, nursing and administrative leaders, provides system level leadership, direction and overall administrative management for Enterprise Access Services across the Tower Health system.
This role is responsible for providing system level leadership and oversight (both direct and indirect) to all aspects of consumer access across the enterprise. This individual will be charged with developing and executing strategies that ensure our consumers and communities have timely, convenient and affordable access to services across the enterprise.
He/she will lead development and implementation of Tower’s access strategy including the expansion of existing and emerging portals of entry (e.g., phone, mobile health app, online, etc.) to provide consumers with more options to existing and emerging services (e.g. virtual visits, e-visits, urgent care, outpatient services, inpatient services, etc.)
He/she will drive success by using consumer perspectives and defined preferences to align the organization on corresponding performance requirements that ultimately support achievement of Tower’s enterprise strategy.
Anticipated areas of focus include existing and emerging portals of entry, multi-modal capacity management (e.g., ensuring sufficient capacity for in-person visits, asynchronous and synchronous visits, etc.), consumer engagement strategies and adoption of new solutions, optimizing the consumer experience/interaction, and supporting core access operations (e.g., “schedistration” - scheduling/registration, provider referral and relationship management, financial clearance processes, etc.).
The right person for this position will serve as a conduit to engage and collaborate with providers and staff, set performance expectations, and reward and recognize winning performance through accountability, performance management and strong leadership. This person will also create and foster a consumer-centric culture and maintain strong operational discipline. He/she will succeed by building collaborative partnerships with leaders from across the system, including the executive team, medical group leadership, patient experience, care delivery services (hospitals, urgent care, etc.) and system support operations (revenue cycle, information technology, strategy/business development, etc.).
- Develops and oversees execution of Enterprise Access strategies to achieve organizational strategic and consumer engagement objectives.
- Provides enterprise-level responsibility for the Advanced Access Center which includes scheduling and call/service center operations.
- Responsible for establishing leading practice standards and partnering with key stakeholders to ensure implementation and adherence to those standards for the following -
- Scheduling processes at sites of care and online
- Pre-service revenue cycle processes
- Partners with relevant leadership in the development and monitoring of provider and ancillary capacity, including but not limited to:
- Development of methodologies and processes to quantify and manage capacity utilization across providers, modalities and the system
- Providing guidance in identifying and implementing solutions to ensure operations are optimized to support capacity utilization, e.g., care team roles, hours of operation, staffing and workflows.
- Partners and actively collaborates with Revenue Cycle Leadership and Hospital Patient Access Directors to optimize front end and access related revenue cycle processes
- Partners with Information Technology and other relevant Tower Health areas in the development and – as determined by Tower Health executive leadership the oversight – of digital health and technology solutions related to consumer engagement and access such as virtual visits, e-visits, chatbots, etc.
- Partners with Patient Experience and other Tower Health leadership to deepen the organization’s understanding of consumer preferences and needs related to access and strengthen the consumer and service orientation of all physicians and staff involved in access activities.
- Collaborates internally with managed care and with payors to optimize access for patients within the Tower community.
- Strives to identify opportunities to enhance Tower employee access to services.
- Partners with the Transfer Center leadership to ensure smooth transitions of care for patients accessing inpatient services via transfer.
- Develops annual budgets for areas of direct responsibility and is responsible for adherence to budgets and explanations of variances.
- Maintains and demonstrates expert knowledge of the application of Enterprise Access processes and leading practices.
- Provides team leadership and serves as a strong people leader:
- Leads by example; promotes teamwork by fostering a positive, transparent and focused working environment which achieves maximum results
- Fosters team atmosphere between business and clinical stakeholders
- Manages assigned staff via consistent performance management and constructive feedback geared towards accountability
- Fosters development of staff to ensure increased employee engagement and employee satisfaction
- Oversees talent plans and strategies to attract, motivate and retain a diverse, qualified and engaged team to fulfill current and future business needs
- Oversees the training/education program for patient access staff including new hire orientation, competency assessments, remedial training and on-going education
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Tower Health, including but not limited to leading and conducting special projects.
Position reports to the Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Office, Tower Health.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Healthcare Administration, Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or equivalent degree related to position responsibilities
- Master’s Degree preferred
Required Experience and Skills
- 7+ years of experience working in the areas of consumer/patient access, scheduling systems, service coordination, or call centers
- 5+ years of Director level leadership experience in the areas of consumer access, scheduling systems, service coordination, or call centers
- Demonstrated success in leading teams and ability to create, organize and execute programs that depend upon the participation and engagement of physicians and staff for their successful completion
- Excels at influencing others without having direct authority of all aspects of decision-making
- Displays original thinking and generates creative solutions
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills
- Direct operational management experience with one or more functional areas related to patient access: ambulatory patient scheduling; ambulatory clinic management; digital health; telemedicine; call/contact centers; acute care facility admissions functions – patient scheduling, pre-service/financial clearance, access, financial counseling
- Experience modernizing and strategically improving performance by using technology/automation
- Proven experience and expertise in leading health system integration on access and related topics
- Certification within Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA) and/or the National Association of Healthcare Access Management (NAHAM)