- High school diploma or possession of a general equivalency diploma (GED)
- Welder "D"
- A minimum of two (2) years' experience performing satisfactorily the duties of a Welder, or related field
- A District of Columbia, Maryland or Virginia motor vehicle operator's permit issued from jurisdiction of residence
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
The Welder is responsible for performing highly skilled and complex welding tasks on various types of industrial building support or transit vehicle equipment, including the construction and modification of existing Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) facilities and equipment. The work requires use and operation of gas cutting and welding equipment, Metal Inert Gas (MIG) and Tungsten Inert Gas (TIG) welding equipment, iron workers, shears, drill presses and other tools and equipment associated with metal fabrication.
Job Levels : At each successive grade level of this job (i.e. Grades D, C, B, A and AA), the incumbent is expected to demonstrate increased, distinguishing levels of proficiency and efficiency in knowledge, skills and abilities when performing the assigned duties and essential functions described in this job description
"AA Lead" Level: In addition to independently performing the most complex aspects of the duties and essential functions described, the incumbent is responsible for ensuring work responsibilities of a group or team are properly completed in a timely manner and acts in the absence of the supervisor as required.
- Performs complex structural and high-pressure pipe welding in all positions; flat, horizontal, vertical and overhead lay out positions and tack weld work pieces. Works from complex plans, blueprints and sketches fabricating or repairing existing or new equipment.
- Inspects, selects and executes the proper welding process for the material encountered on assigned jobs. Uses oxyacetylene or arc welding and cutting equipment, portable arc welder, portable grinder, power band saw, drill press, and other tools to complete assignments.
- Welds aluminum, stainless steel and other metals using TIG and MIG equipment. Dismantles various types of equipment in order to repair or modify by welding.
- Completes repair, fabrication or modification work documentation and other required reports. Lays out work assignments, determines methods, techniques and materials needed to effectively accomplish assignments.
- Completes required forms, tags, and other documentation reporting maintenance work performed and enters data into computer records; prepares parts requisitions for the supervisor's approval, ensuring equipment, systems and associated mechanical devices are maintained according to Authority and manufacturer standards.
- Attends and passes the required safety training classes and continuously learns industry best practices for working safely and efficiently. Performs assignments according to established industry and WMATA safety practices and maintenance guidelines.
- Supports response efforts in emergencies by providing immediate maintenance to protect assets. Responds to and provides assistance during severe weather emergencies, ensuring that safety requirements are met.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Credit history report for positions with fiduciary responsibilities
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job Descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.